Honored Contributor

He is a former soldier who has reunited thousands of soldiers with their companion dogs during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. He was shocked to win because it's usually the folks who help the poor all over the world and in the ghettos, which is very admirable.

This time they honored an animal advocate. The ceremony will take place soon.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Wonderful, I'll keep an eye out for his story. There are always many heroes who help animals, but they are rarely recognized. This is a huge step forward, IMO. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor
On 11/19/2014 Topaz Gem said:

Wonderful, I'll keep an eye out for his story. There are always many heroes who help animals, but they are rarely recognized. This is a huge step forward, IMO. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I agree. It brought tears to my eyes.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Fabulous news Ford!!! What a guy, he has my vote! Think of the happiness he's brought to these men and their dogs! This made my day! Hope you're feeling better too Ford!!!!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

That is awesome.

doxie

Honored Contributor

I was wrong about him being chosen Hero of the Year. He is just one of ten finalists. The Hero of the Year program will air on Sunday, December 7. I am hopeful he will still be picked.

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor
On 11/30/2014 Ford1224 said:

I was wrong about him being chosen Hero of the Year. He is just one of ten finalists. The Hero of the Year program will air on Sunday, December 7. I am hopeful he will still be picked.

He is MY hero..can't wait to see the show!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor
On 12/1/2014 graceandmercy said:
On 11/30/2014 Ford1224 said:

He is MY hero..can't wait to see the show!

Mine too!!

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

There is a series on tv called War Dogs, I believe, with vets and their dogs, or vets trying to replace the dog they no longer have, but have only seen bits so am not sure exactly.

Honored Contributor

OUR GUY WON!! Pen Farthing is CNN's Hero of the Year. It was shown last night.

CNN Hero of the Year reunites soldiers with their war dog companions!!

I saw that this show was pre-recorded, so I was right the first time when I said he won. His story is so touching, as were many of the others. CNN is to be commended for doing this every year.

Formerly Ford1224