Trusted Contributor

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia?

we just got back from the vet and our beloved 4 year old black lab has this…its when they are not making any platelets...they put her on steroids and antibiotics as she was running a fever….my heart is breaking…has anyone had any experience with this? i was afraid to ask for the prognosis…she goes back in a few days for a repeat blood test to see if the steroids are working, if not, i have to take her up another facility for further evaluation...

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia?

This is a very rare autoimmune disease that can be managed and most dogs respond pretty well, but it's chronic (incurable) and you have to stay on top of it the rest of your pup's life. However, some dogs need specialty treatment. The goal is to kick it into remission. It can be life threatening but many, many dogs do very well.

Here's a nice, compact discussion of it from a veterinary website -- I hope this helps!

"The body's immune system is designed to fight foreign substances in the body, like germs and viruses. But in autoimmune diseases, the immune system attacks healthy tissues, not germs. In case of ITP, the immune system attacks platelets – the cells responsible for clotting the blood. When platelet levels are low, clotting is slowed and spontaneous bleeding occurs.

In mild cases, the affected dog may present with many pinpoint bruises on the gums, whites of the eyes, mucous membranes or skin. These bruises are called petechia, and they may develop into larger bruises. Dogs may also bleed into their intestinal, urinary or respiratory tracts, and nosebleeds are common. Bleeding can be severe and lead to anemia. Some dogs will also have a fever.

The diagnosis is made by finding reduced numbers of platelets in the blood stream and ruling out other causes such as some tick transmitted infectious diseases. Normal platelet counts are 200,000 or above. When these numbers are below 20,000, bleeding starts to occur.

In the acute phase of the disease, blood transfusions are often necessary due to severe anemia. Treatment involves the use of corticosteroids in combination with other immunosuppressant drugs such as azathiaprine, cyclosporine or leflunomide which are usually continued for several months after remission has been achieved.

Although ITP is a life threatening disease, it can usually be treated successfully and survival rates are approximately 90%."

Trusted Contributor

Thanks sammycat, unfortunately we had to rush her to the pet hospital this am as she is bleeding internally...she will be there for sometime, as they are doing all sorts of tests...not sure if she has cancer or its idiopathic...her platelets and red blood cells are down again and she had to have a transfusion today.needless to say our hearts are broken, but we are still hopeful.
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/20/2014 conniec said: Thanks sammycat, unfortunately we had to rush her to the pet hospital this am as she is bleeding internally...she will be there for sometime, as they are doing all sorts of tests...not sure if she has cancer or its idiopathic...her platelets and red blood cells are down again and she had to have a transfusion today.needless to say our hearts are broken, but we are still hopeful.

Oh no! I'll start a prayer thread here on the Pet Forum for your beloved dog. Please update us as you are able!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you
Valued Contributor

conniec, you and your boy will be in my prayers.
Trusted Contributor

Update- heard from dr at vet hospital...they took X-rays and ultra sound and found no cancer...gave a transfusion with more today..monitoring her closely for bleeding especially in lungs, brain..she was negative for all tick diseases. Needs to stay 3-5 days at the hospital..they are labeling her "primary" idiopathic thrombocytopenia..no known cause. It's an auto immune disease...goal is to get her into remission with steroids...I am at this point cautiously optimistic ...miss her terribly and plan on seeing her today...kids and hubby too. House seems so strange with out her Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

On 11/21/2014 conniec said: Update- heard from dr at vet hospital...they took X-rays and ultra sound and found no cancer...gave a transfusion with more today..monitoring her closely for bleeding especially in lungs, brain..she was negative for all tick diseases. Needs to stay 3-5 days at the hospital..they are labeling her "primary" idiopathic thrombocytopenia..no known cause. It's an auto immune disease...goal is to get her into remission with steroids...I am at this point cautiously optimistic ...miss her terribly and plan on seeing her today...kids and hubby too. House seems so strange with out her Smiley Sad

Good news on no cancer! We're continuing to pray for your girl (what's her name, by the way?) and our hopes for her recovery are with you. It's so true that your house doesn't feel like home when your furry members are away from it.

Keep the faith! We'll keep checking for updates.

Trusted Contributor

I am sooooooooooo sorry what you are going thru.......I wish your puppy doodles well......Please tell me that you are giving something like Pepcid, to protect the stomach with the steroids and all.........My thoughts go out with you........{#emotions_dlg.wub}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

**update: she is still in the hospital, day 6…two updates from dr today: still no platelets, but GI bleeding had slowed quite a bit, she is eating well and not terribly lethargic; but then i got an update an hour ago and her PCB ( level of anemia) had dropped from 20 to 18..which is very low..they are giving her another transfusion, tonights will have fresh platelets in it..

dr. still feels there is hope; they usually give them to the two week mark with not making any platelets(typically it only takes most dogs 4-5 days) and then we will have to make a decision. There is another dog there with the same condition, she came in 2-3 days ahead of my dog, and they just saw platelets yesterday…so i am holding onto that..but its very possible her bone marrow just won't make them..or if it does it destroys them. her name is Beckley…she is a beautiful black lab…so special...