New Contributor

I was wondering if any of you have experience treating ear mites in a cat. I have a stray kitty that I've taken in. I'm inexperienced with cats but I'd say she's semi-tame. She will allow me to pet her some but does not like to be handled much beyond that....at least by my initiation. She laid on my lap though the other day and I can see the black residue in her ears that I'm understanding to be the waste of ear mites. She's always itching her ears and starting this weekend she's become much more aggressive about it and seems to be quite uncomfortable with it. Soooooooo, I tried to take some mineral oil and clean her ears. I knew it was a risk but I wanted to help...it didn't turn out very well and she freaked out pretty badly, scratched and tried to bite me. Do Frontline or Revolution kill ear mites effectively? Any suggestions? I'm not sure I could pick her up right now to take her to a vet, she's skeptical of me now again.....she is still letting me pet her so I thought I might have a chance with a topical medication like the Frontline or Revolution. Any advice you can give this rookie would be very helpful for my uncomfortable kitty! Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Just use something like Revolution. It is topical and treats fleas, ear mites, etc. I would think if you can pet the cat you could apply this easily.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Revolution-prod10265.html

Esteemed Contributor

Revolution will work, just ask the vet (need a prescription). Cat should have a full check-up if he was a stray.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Kitties ears must be thoroughly cleaned and I've always had to treat mine with ear drops of some kind. I'm not familiar with Revolution or Front Line killing ear mites, but it might well be something I just don't know about.

Nevertheless, they will not go away on their own and as soon as you can get her to the vet, the better off she will be.

I sympathize trying to get a skittish kitty into a carrier. No easy task. But, if she has ear mites, she likely has worms and other parasites, too. Taking on the treatment of a stray is a formidable task (I've done it MANY times). I wish you luck.

Honored Contributor

I'd go to the vet, the cat probably has worms too and a fecal exam to determine which kind and the best treatment is a good idea along with dealing with the mites.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

First of all, thanks for trying to care for this little stray. I "trapped" a stray a couple of years ago ... I couldn't keep him but I knew my vet's stray adoption program would find him a good home. He wouldn't come in my house, so I put my biggest carrier down on the floor right in front of the open door and put some smelly good wet food on a saucer in the very back of the carrier. He was hungry enough that he finally went in, and I slammed the carrier door shut behind him. After the vets got him through their "quarantine" period and gave him shots, etc., he found a "forever home". I wanted so much to keep him, but I have a sick one plus another one, so I just couldn't do it.

As others have said, I'm sure she needs to be seen by a vet and checked for all the usual things that could be wrong with a stray, so you can get her all fixed up and make sure she's healthy.

Good luck with her!

Honored Contributor

Do not put topical flea or tick medicines in a cats ears! Ear mites need to be treated with a special medication that the vet will prescribe. Cleaning them will help, but won't rid the cat of ear mites.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I would highly recommend that you take the cat to the vet to get a prescription (we had very good success with TRESADERM) to kill off the ear mites. Ear mites are extremely hard to get rid of.

Our vet prescribed TRESADERM solution to treat one of our rescue cats who had a terrible (and reoccurring) case of ear mites.

Vet also prescribed an oral antibiotic to kill off infection in the ears -- caused by the ear mites.

Each 15 ml dropper of Tresaderm solution contains thiabendazole and dexamethasone neomycin sulfate. Thiabendazole is a fungicide and parasiticide that kills or inhibits fungi and parasites. Dexamethasone neomycin sulfate is a potent anti-inflammatory.

You will see results in about a week. We did two courses of Tresaderm to finish off the ear mites for good. Make sure you do not miss a dose as this medication is timed to kill off the adult mites and will kill off the eggs as they hatch.

Just note that this medication has to be refrigerated so if you get a prescription for Tresaderm from your veterinarian, you will have to pay to have it shipped overnight. Might be better to buy the Tresaderm from your vet as you will not have to pay shipping costs.

So good of you to take in an abandoned kitten! May you both enjoy many years of loving companionship. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

By the way, our cat was full grown when treated with Tresaderm. I don't know if this medication is safe to use for kittens. Please ask your vet about it.

Our vet charged us $26.25 for a 15ml size Tresaderm Solution.

Honored Contributor

They are hard to get rid of and my cat too, who was under a year at the time, had a lengthy treatment with Tresaderm before we finally got rid of them. Because it has to be kept refrigerated, I hated putting it in his ears, especially for so long, but I kept telling myself it had to be done. The vet also showed me how to clean out his ears using diluted white vinegar.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...