Trusted Contributor

My pug hates to have her wrinkles cleaned. I do it frequently, but the wrinkles have become hard and itchy. Should I put mineral oil on them or is there anything better? Antiseptic cream?

Esteemed Contributor

what did your vet suggest?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

I forgot, and I don't want to have to call back and tell them I forgot.

Honored Contributor

Google, I am sure there is info on this.

Honored Contributor

I've never used mineral oil, a damp washcloth has worked fine. I've had pugs for nearly 20 years.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

If they're sore and itchy, I'd suspect the pug might have a fungal infection in the skin folds -- something that frequently happens to humans, too! I'd check back with your vet for the right product.

Honored Contributor

My mom always used Vaseline, and in very light and small amounts. You have to clean the wrinkles really good first, make sure there isn't any dirt, debris or sores that require a trip to the vet, then using the Vaseline always kept her Pug's wrinkles easy to clean, and soft and healthy.

Regular Contributor
On 11/19/2014 mominohio said:

My mom always used Vaseline, and in very light and small amounts. You have to clean the wrinkles really good first, make sure there isn't any dirt, debris or sores that require a trip to the vet, then using the Vaseline always kept her Pug's wrinkles easy to clean, and soft and healthy.

Vaseline works just fine and if there's any infection, you can always use a little Neosporine to clear it up. Using the Vaseline will keep the wrinkles clean & soft, but be gentle with the cleaning to avoid irritation. Sounds to me like you have been over-zealous in the cleaning & possibly caused some irritation.

I've had Pugs for over 35 years.