Valued Contributor

Illness and deaths being reported from Purina Pet Foods

Excerpt from an original story out of Seattle at http://www.examiner.com/article/pet-illnesses-deaths-what-s-going-on-with-purina-pet-food

A recent rash of consumer complaints on ConsumerAffairs.com has pet owners asking: What's going on with Purina food?

On Nov. 9, Jennifer from Nashua, New Hampshire wrote:

I bought my cat a new bag of Purina cat chow indoor formula last night. 20 minutes after feeding him from the new bag he was vomiting blood, foaming at the mouth, voiding his bladder and thrashing around the house. We left for the vet within minutes but it didn't matter. He died in my daughter's arms on the way to the vet.

It was only after I got home and calmed down a little, I kept saying to myself, 'He was fine, I just fed him. He was fine, I JUST FED HIM...' That's when I started looking online and found NUMEROUS recent stories that all read the same as mine, about the same cat food all within the last week. What the h3ll is this?? My cat is dead!! You'd think they would have pulled it after the first few pets have died.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Illness and deaths being reported from Purina Pet Foods

I've read about this, and it's alarming. It reminds me of the dog treat disaster. What kind of investigation is going on?

Valued Contributor

Sammycat,

Officially it didn't sound like there is any real investigation going on. Purina says there is nothing wrong with the food but the stories are horrendous.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing this very important information.

I just double checked all of the wet and dry cat food that I feed to my 4 kitties (all rescues) and none of it is by Purina. Clearly that is one brand that I'll never buy in the future.

My heart goes out to all of those who lost their precious furbabies due to Purina's gross negligence.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Super Contributor

I saw this on Snopes and so far, not determined if it's true or not.

Let's hope not. The only food I can get Tiggi to eat right now is Purina Pro Plan and Fancy Feast Dry.

And Stinky, who died a week ago today, was eating Friskies Indoor chicken pate wet food; she's been eating it for at least 2 years, maybe more.

Look how many different cat and dog foods are made by various brands of Purina, and millions are NOT dying.

Respected Contributor

I hope that is not true, I only feed Purina and have for 34 years. I have Teddy on the Fit and Healthy and Little Bites and the kittens on Kitten chow and my other cat on Indoor Purina.

They are all fine.

Trusted Contributor

Never had a problem with Purina One. It's what our cats eat, and they're healthy.

Esteemed Contributor

I have four dogs and all now are on pro plan never had a problem and they are doing well. How horrible. This is very disturbing. I wish our dog and cat food was made here in the US instead of China. If this goes on I will cook for my animals.

Esteemed Contributor

We have used Purina One dog food for years ( if not decades). I always read the recalls and have seen nothing about Purina. I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet pet!

Honored Contributor

I'm hoping this isn't accurate information. Sometimes it is really hard to tell what is legitimate and what is not on the internet. And perhaps if some of these "reports" are real, and pets have been sickened or died, it will be actually confirmed what caused the problems.

It seems that pet food recalls happen rather frequently, and I'd think if these cases were legitimate, there would have been something in the actual news about it by now.

Always good to have a heads up, so thanks for posting.