Contributor

I have noticed that the quality of the pine cat litter (Feline Pine and the store brand) has gone down, in my opinion. Reading the reviews on Petsmart about both pine litters confirmed that other people felt the same way. Evidently, another company bought the product and "improved" the litter.

In my opinion, the litter dissolves faster than before (so I have to buy more often) and has an unusual smell - to me quite unpleasant. It also sometimes has a sticky, almost tarry residue on the bottom of the litter pan which I never had before.

Some customers, when they reviewed the product, suggested instead to go to a farm store and buy 40 pound bags of wood pellets, used in wood stoves. I recently went to a CAL Ranch Store and bought a bag of 40 pound pellets for $4.99 (Lignetics brand). I typically pay at least $14.99 for a 40 pound bag of pine cat litter, unless it is on sale or I have a coupon.

I found, in my opinion, that the wood pellets did the same job as the pine litter, smells better and doesn't have any tarry residue in the bottom of the litter pan. In fact, it works like the pine litter used to before it was improved. (and looks the same since it is also made out of reclaimed pine)

For those with multiple cat households, like me, this can save you money and I think, is better and more natural for my cats.

I was so glad I had read about this and thought I would share, for anyone interested.

Super Contributor

Yes, the quality has changed for the worse, since Arm & Hammer bought the company. It no longer has the wonderful, clean pine scent and the pellets are gray. I have used Feline Pine since it's intro'd.

Such a shame!

Bump

Contributor

If you can find these pine wood pellets for wood stoves, it is like the original feline pine, in my opinion.

I am glad it is not just me that noticed. I am sure whatever they have done, it is to make more money.

Honored Contributor

OMG, I didn't know Petsmart had product reviews !!! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I just bought Feline Pine for the first time last week ..... and am not impressed. After reading lots of packages, I expected more from this brand .

Has anyone tried the crystals? I met a woman in the cat litter aisle that said her husband is into cat rescues and she has anywhere between 2-6 cats at any given time. She said the crystals (silica) is probably the best she's ever used. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Contributor

I tried the crystals a long time ago. With so many cats (I do rescue), I found them too expensive, but I have a friend with just one cat that uses it and swears by it.

Pretty much all kinds of litter track and my cats tracked those little crystals around the house. Barefoot, they kind of hurt! I was always sweeping them up. But there is no dust, which is a benefit.

Luckily, there are so many different kinds of litters. I loved Feline Pine until the changes, but am quite pleased with the wood pellets I found at the farm store. The sales clerk that helped me was not at all surprised. He said many people use them for cat litter and in fact, they had a display right by the cat aisle. (They also sell cat food there like Call of the Wild.) It was a very interesting store which I had never shopped at before.

Super Contributor
On 11/12/2014 lvenjay said:

I tried the crystals a long time ago. With so many cats (I do rescue), I found them too expensive, but I have a friend with just one cat that uses it and swears by it.

Pretty much all kinds of litter track and my cats tracked those little crystals around the house. Barefoot, they kind of hurt! I was always sweeping them up. But there is no dust, which is a benefit.

Luckily, there are so many different kinds of litters. I loved Feline Pine until the changes, but am quite pleased with the wood pellets I found at the farm store. The sales clerk that helped me was not at all surprised. He said many people use them for cat litter and in fact, they had a display right by the cat aisle. (They also sell cat food there like Call of the Wild.) It was a very interesting store which I had never shopped at before.

Do the wood pellets have the pine smell? I loved the Feline Pine smell.

I'm checking our Farm Co-op for the pellets this weekend.

Arm & Hammer haven't responded to my complaints in my email and I didn't get a howdy!

I don't have to have the pine scent, but I truly enjoyed changing litter boxes just for the scent. Plus, the bags hardly weigh anything, compared to the clay litters.

Contributor

Yes, to me it has the scent. Maybe not as strong as the original feline pine, but better than it smells now.

I also like that it doesn't weigh very much and that you only have to scoop the solid waste, not the urine, which means less work. Plus, it seemed to be environmentally friendly.

Several people have remarked that they get no response from complaints. I also sent an e-mail complaining and have complained at PetSmart, but as long as people buy the product, I do not expect any changes.

I hope you find it and like it. This is all I plan to use in the future and I can't beat the price!

Trusted Contributor

I buy store brand scented clay litter; it's cheap and works just fine. It doesn't clump. I scoop out the solid waste with a slotted scoop, shake off the excess, and flush it. Then I stir up the litter to redistribute damp litter and help it dry out. Works for us and has for years.

Super Contributor

Ivenja,

Thank you for the pertinent info on the wood pellets. I didn't make it to check on the wood pellets, but I will when our weather gets warmer tomorrow or Monday. I'm excited to check it out and will let you know.

By the by, our temps are predicted to soar to 25 degrees by Monday. Yippee!

Are you on FB? I am.

Contributor

I am so sorry for you and others that are in this very cold weather. It must be miserable, especially for any outside animals without shelter. I currently live in a warmer climate.

No, I don't do facebook. Sorry.

Let me know what you think of the pellets. I sniffed them as I changed a litter pan today and I thought, "Yes, that is pine!" Love the smell.