Respected Contributor

Do You Make Your Own Dog Food?

My dog has just stopped eating his dog food I buy Natural Choice wet and dry food and mix them both he has been eating this for years with no problem. This went on for 2 days but he will eat food like chicken with rice, hamburg with rice and other things but just own't eat the dog food. I called my vet and he has an enlarged spleen and did some blood work which I will get the results today but she said this would not be the cause of his not eating his dog food.

So I would like some suggestions on what to give other than dog food that is good for him. Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Make Your Own Dog Food?

I hope your dog will be ok. You'll have to talk with your vet further after the lab results are in. Check your kibble to see the expiration date. (Sometimes they are difficult to find.)

Making your own food is very tricky as you would need to do research to be sure it is nutritionally complete. What I do is cook up some lean chicken or lean ground turkey with finely chopped vegetables and put a couple tablespoons in with his kibble at each meal. It makes the food much more palatable, but I know he's still getting proper nutrition from the quality kibble (Merrick). I make a larger batch at one time and freeze small portions in containers. If you do this, be sure to choose vegetables which are ok for dogs (green beans, zucchini, apple, sweet potato are some that are ok).

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 happygal said:

I hope your dog will be ok. You'll have to talk with your vet further after the lab results are in. Check your kibble to see the expiration date. (Sometimes they are difficult to find.)

Making your own food is very tricky as you would need to do research to be sure it is nutritionally complete. What I do is cook up some lean chicken or lean ground turkey with finely chopped vegetables and put a couple tablespoons in with his kibble at each meal. It makes the food much more palatable, but I know he's still getting proper nutrition from the quality kibble (Merrick). I make a larger batch at one time and freeze small portions in containers. If you do this, be sure to choose vegetables which are ok for dogs (green beans, zucchini, apple, sweet potato are some that are ok).

Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to write this. I never gave Kibble to my dog I have been feeding him Natural Choice for years and he always ate it until now. Some of his blood work is off and may have Kidney issues but more blood work was sent out today. My dog is 13 he is a Sheltie it is so sad for me to see him not feeling well as he is a great loving dog. His Thyroid is low so he was put on Thyroid pills so I w ill be starting them today. I will check online and see all of the vegetables he can have. Thanks again!!

Honored Contributor

I feed mine Primal raw, but add squash/pumpkin which I bake to cook, and mixed veges to it, and they love it.

Respected Contributor

I just remembered a long time ago I tried the can dog food by Merrick and my dogs fur started falling out. I knew that name was familiar. I will try adding some cooked food into his dog food and se what happens.

Respected Contributor

On 11/11/2014 mousiegirl said:

I feed mine Primal raw, but add squash/pumpkin which I bake to cook, and mixed veges to it, and they love it.

I never heard of this. Is this meat you just buy and serve? And what kind do you feed your dogs?

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Butterfly12 said:

I never heard of this. Is this meat you just buy and serve? And what kind do you feed your dogs?

It comes in two sizes, small chunks, and patties, grain free. It is located in the freezer. I buy the patties, three bags and the fourth is free. Each of my terriers gets half a patty a day, so each day, I remove one patty from the freezer and either let it thaw on the counter or use the microwave to defrost, and I feed the lamb and beef, though there is chicken and salmon also. One can buy small samples to try on the dog to see what they prefer, which is what I did.

Respected Contributor

It comes in two sizes, small chunks, and patties, grain free. It is located in the freezer. I buy the patties, three bags and the fourth is free. Each of my terriers gets half a patty a day, so each day, I remove one patty from the freezer and either let it thaw on the counter or use the microwave to defrost, and I feed the lamb and beef, though there is chicken and salmon also. One can buy small samples to try on the dog to see what they prefer, which is what I did.

Thank you so much for the info. I might try these. It sounds simple. I will buy the samples toe see if he likes it first. Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

I talked to my vet about this awhile back, because of all the pet food recalls. I know there are plenty of human foods that dogs can eat without problems, like chicken, rice and veggies, but my vet said that even with her education, she'd never try to make her own food because of the nutrient balance that is required for a healthy dog.

My vet is very smart and very good, and I was surprised by her answer. So while short term, it wouldn't hurt to feed your dog some human foods, it wouldn't be best in the long term for lack of proper nutrients.

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much for the info. I might try these. It sounds simple. I will buy the samples toe see if he likes it first. Thanks so much.

You are welcome.