Super Contributor

Why do most dry dog foods have high calories.

I have been checking out dry dog food labels and most have hight calories. I think that's why so many dogs are over weight. My vet is very tough on calories. He says since last winter so many come in over weight. He like science diet. I won't feed my dogs any thing with by products in it. I walk my dogs 3 times a day to make sure they stay slim. He say feed them a food that's no more then 350 calories per cup.it hard to find one that the dogs will eat. Any suggestions.
Respected Contributor

Re: Why do most dry dog foods have high calories.

My Vet recommends Pumpkin. You might ask your Vet about it, they use it for a filler because the Pumpkin is very high Fiber. So for my Shelties the Vet recommends 1/3 cup of dry dog food and 1/3 cup of Pumpkin 2 X per day. My dogs love it and they are fit and trim. They have been on this regimen for a year now. You use Pumpkin and not Pie Filling.
Honored Contributor

Science diet isn't healthy food, not enough actual meat and too many grains and carbs that dogs and cats don't need and can't properly digest. Dogs and cats are over weight because of a variety of reasons, too much food for their activity level and size and food that is too high in grains and carbs which they don't have the right kind of digestive system to process and not enough protein. My dogs eat prey model raw and my cats eat a combo of canned food and prey model raw.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Merrick Real Chicken Brown Rice + Green Pea Recipe is 340 per cup. It's one of the top rated foods on dogfoodadvisor.com.

CORRECTION: I could not figure out why the calories on my bag of Merrick did not match that shown on Merrick's website. I just noticed that my kibble is senior dog food, which I did not mean to buy. So the above relates to the senior dog food, probably not what you are looking for.