Respected Contributor

Kitty has fatty liver disease

My 2 1/2 year old kitty (Mavis) has just been diagnosed with fatty liver disease.

She doesn't have any of the risk factors, which are mostly being older and overweight.

She has lost 1 1/2 pounds over a month or so. We took her in about a month ago, as my daughter felt she had lost weight and might be vomiting (have 8 cats so sometimes we are not sure). Had all basic lab tests and abdominal x-rays, all being normal.

We took her in again yesterday, and her liver tests were elevated, along with the weight loss. We do not feel she has been vomiting though. Have offered 2 types of canned food and regular dry food. She looks at it, but doesn't eat.

So they put her on antibiotics (white blood cells normal) and an appetite stimulant. Still not eating today, so she got a nausea injection (Cerenia), special food (Hill's a/d) and instructions to syringe feed her if she won't eat.

If not eating after weekend, she has to be hospitalized.

She is just a baby, and have no idea how this happened.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Respected Contributor

Re: Kitty has fatty liver disease

This sounds pretty serious, I hope they find the underlying cause soon. I read up on it and there are a lot of different causes. Wishing you all the best for the little Mavis and all of your other kitties.

Esteemed Contributor

Hang in there -- keep your baby syringe-fed if you have to...it's essential that she eat, or this can snowball.

We're praying for her!

Super Contributor

Yes, make sure you get the A/D food down her, otherwise she will never recover from this. In the late 90's my cat Snowbell quit eating and I had to force-feed her the A/D. She didn't like the syringe so I put it on my finger and stuck it in her mouth, several times a day. It took 2 months before the vet figured out she had a sinus infection, and once that cleared up, she was back to normal.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know much about fatty liver disease in cats, except that it can develop when a cat goes a period of time without eating. But I can offer you some advice on syringe feeding. Almost 8 years ago, our cat Daisy became sick and spent almost a week in the animal hospital. They diagnosed pancreatitis, but our current vet believes it was the first showing of her hyperthyroidism.

Anyway, she refused to eat when we brought her home. Cats who have been sick will associate eating with feeling ill, and become anorexic. So, even though they begin to recover from an ailment, they may continue refusing to eat. It's the most insane thing we ever dealt with, concerning our fur babies over the years.

The vet gave us some syringes, but they weren't big enough. So, I went to the Target Pharmacy and asked if they had any children's medicine syringes. They gave me several for free, and we used those to syringe feed Daisy.

She wasn't happy about the syringe feeding at first. For the first few times, we had to wrap her in a towel, like a burrito. But, eventually, she got used to it and would actually sit and wait....that's when we knew she was probably ready to eat on her own.

We kept at this for about three months, on and off, and then her appetite returned to normal. The only other choice would have been a feeding tube, and we didn't want to put her through that.

She's now almost 17 1/2 years old, and that was almost 8 years go. Don't give up on the syringe feeding. It's really important to Mavis' recovery. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

ETA: I believe we added a little water to the mixture, to make sure it went down smoothly. Just don't add too much, as you don't want her to choke.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

As of today, she is drinking on her own, but no move toward any food.

My husband wrapped her up in a towel and got at least 10cc of the a/d food in her.

Vet said to give that much, or more if we can, twice a day.

It's been about 5 hours and no vomiting.

She's been hiding in the closet since!

Thanks for suggestions and prayers!! By the way, Mavis is an orange and white tabby. She has some white on her face and her paws are white. She is really cute, with still a baby face.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

A tip -- you might try more frequent feedings vs. trying to get the whole 10 ccs in her at one time. She'll get used to it and you'll get better at it at the same time.

Trusted Contributor

Geez I am so sorry to hear this and I hope Mavis will be ok.I will include her in my prayers.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this and hope Mavis feels better soon. God bless Mavis.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/25/2014 hyacinth003 said:

As of today, she is drinking on her own, but no move toward any food.

My husband wrapped her up in a towel and got at least 10cc of the a/d food in her.

Vet said to give that much, or more if we can, twice a day.

It's been about 5 hours and no vomiting.

She's been hiding in the closet since!

Thanks for suggestions and prayers!! By the way, Mavis is an orange and white tabby. She has some white on her face and her paws are white. She is really cute, with still a baby face.

Hyacinth

Hyacinth... I have started a thread in the pet chat corner this morning for special cyber prayers for all the sick animals and there owners. Please, you and your husband take care of yourselves too. Anna [aka Matty6].