Respected Contributor

itsMe - Your older dog and new puppy - What did you decide?

???

Honored Contributor

Re: itsMe - Your older dog and new puppy - What did you decide?

We recently got a new puppy and also have a 9 year old (keeshond) dog. We let them set the parameters for getting acquainted rather than forcing them to "welcome" one another with open paws. It took Anika a few weeks to accept Alfie (who is now 5 months old) and they are becoming "best buddies." Anika is getting more exercise with the puppy -- and this is good. We also witness them laying quietly side by side on occasion -- this too is good.

We still put the puppy in a crate when we go away and at night. We also give him short periods of "time out" in the crate as needed; that is, when he makes himself a pest (for example) and when he eats. He's still puppy!!!

I assume from the title of this thread you are considering getting a puppy. Am I right?

ETA: The puppy is a gray brindle Cairn Terrier. The adult dog is a Keeshond. We lost Brodie, our Cairn certified therapy dog six months ago today - April 23.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Did you get a puppy? Or, are you still considering a puppy?

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

I'm thinking since she hasn't updated or posted, she probably returned the puppy to the shelter. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

Hi RedConvertibleGirl, thanks for checking in! I'm sorry, but I haven't been on the boards for a little while. I did return the puppy, and am still second guessing myself…. Did I fail her? Tyler was getting used to her, but she had a nasty streak. I tried to groom her, and she went crazy, so I brought her to my mother's house and asked my mother to hold her while I tried again. She bit to hurt, and broke skin. She also got very aggressive towards a feral cat that hangs out here sometimes. He knows he's safe around me and my pups, but she scared him off. She was unfazed by me exerting dominance by picking her up by the scruff of the neck and telling her no, and even growling at her. I was quite concerned about what she might do when she's older if she is like this as a 14 week old. I don't want an aggressive and biting dog. Still, it was a very, very hard decision.

I'm getting a new puppy today. He's 8.5 weeks old, and a much different personality. I know it will take Tyler some time to adapt, but I think he'll ultimately be fine, and hopefully happy with the decision. This time it feels right. I realized that I've been tense since I became aware that Jake was close to the end in July. On Thursday afternoon, with all the arrangements made for me to get this new baby, I felt myself relax and breathe!

Thanks so much for all your care, suggestions, and support! I really appreciate it more than you know. I promise to check in and let you know how we're all doing!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/8/2014 itsMe said:

Hi RedConvertibleGirl, thanks for checking in! I'm sorry, but I haven't been on the boards for a little while. I did return the puppy, and am still second guessing myself…. Did I fail her? Tyler was getting used to her, but she had a nasty streak. I tried to groom her, and she went crazy, so I brought her to my mother's house and asked my mother to hold her while I tried again. She bit to hurt, and broke skin. She also got very aggressive towards a feral cat that hangs out here sometimes. He knows he's safe around me and my pups, but she scared him off. She was unfazed by me exerting dominance by picking her up by the scruff of the neck and telling her no, and even growling at her. I was quite concerned about what she might do when she's older if she is like this as a 14 week old. I don't want an aggressive and biting dog. Still, it was a very, very hard decision.

I'm getting a new puppy today. He's 8.5 weeks old, and a much different personality. I know it will take Tyler some time to adapt, but I think he'll ultimately be fine, and hopefully happy with the decision. This time it feels right. I realized that I've been tense since I became aware that Jake was close to the end in July. On Thursday afternoon, with all the arrangements made for me to get this new baby, I felt myself relax and breathe!

Thanks so much for all your care, suggestions, and support! I really appreciate it more than you know. I promise to check in and let you know how we're all doing!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not get another puppy. Look up POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT training. Anyone who uses force, domination and intimidation on a baby is not someone who is ready for a puppy - PERIOD.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

On 11/8/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 11/8/2014 itsMe said:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not get another puppy. Look up POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT training. Anyone who uses force, domination and intimidation on a baby is not someone who is ready for a puppy - PERIOD.

LOL. you don't know me at all! No force or intimidation. Puppies understand what mommy dogs do. Picking them up by the scruff of the neck and scolding them is how they understand who is in charge. I'm not talking anything rough or scare tactics. Just talking their language. There was nothing rough in what I did. Nothing mean in what I did. Just standard kind training techniques. I actually wonder if I could have helped her by being tougher …. not EVER by hurting or scaring her. Just doing a better job of helping her understand that I am the alpha dog. Her canine mommy would have probably had a sterner growl!

I can assure you that she was treated with nothing but love and kindness, play and fun. Trained and rewarded with hugs, kisses, praise and treats (almost housebroken and had learned so much!). Hugs and kisses all around. From her as well as to her.

I was involved in raising, training, and showing two litters of puppies when I was a teenager, I rescued an 11 month old nearly 13 years ago (he died on 9/13), and have had Tyler since he was 50 days old. That was almost 10 years ago. Jake was, and Tyler is fabulous and happy.

My neighbors have told me they want to come back as my dog in their next life!

Respected Contributor

As an update. I picked up my new baby this afternoon, and he is amazing! Tyler isn't thrilled, but he's doing much better than with the first pup. It will take work and patience, but I know we're going to make it!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/8/2014 itsMe said:
On 11/8/2014 CrazyDaisy said:
On 11/8/2014 itsMe said:

LOL. you don't know me at all! No force or intimidation. Puppies understand what mommy dogs do. Picking them up by the scruff of the neck and scolding them is how they understand who is in charge. I'm not talking anything rough or scare tactics. Just talking their language. There was nothing rough in what I did. Nothing mean in what I did. Just standard kind training techniques. I actually wonder if I could have helped her by being tougher …. not EVER by hurting or scaring her. Just doing a better job of helping her understand that I am the alpha dog. Her canine mommy would have probably had a sterner growl!

I can assure you that she was treated with nothing but love and kindness, play and fun. Trained and rewarded with hugs, kisses, praise and treats (almost housebroken and had learned so much!). Hugs and kisses all around. From her as well as to her.

I was involved in raising, training, and showing two litters of puppies when I was a teenager, I rescued an 11 month old nearly 13 years ago (he died on 9/13), and have had Tyler since he was 50 days old. That was almost 10 years ago. Jake was, and Tyler is fabulous and happy.

My neighbors have told me they want to come back as my dog in their next life!

Standand training techniques, really not, educate yourself POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. You said you restrained the baby who was so terrified the he felt the need to bite to get away. What language is that. This alpha leader by force is a bunch of shxx. Leadership is about respect. Quit kidding yourself, educate yourself.

Use to be common practice to beat kids so they learn a lesson, guess you still adhear to these practices too.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

On 11/9/2014 CrazyDaisy said:On 11/8/2014 itsMe said:

Standand training techniques, really not, educate yourself POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. You said you restrained the baby who was so terrified the he felt the need to bite to get away. What language is that. This alpha leader by force is a bunch of shxx. Leadership is about respect. Quit kidding yourself, educate yourself.

Use to be common practice to beat kids so they learn a lesson, guess you still adhear to these practices too.

Nobody was beaten. Nobody was even slightly hit. I didn't say I restrained a terrified baby. My rescued boy WAS terrified of grooming. I know the difference between terrified and what this puppy was doing. There wasn't force. There are lessons. She got TONS of positive reinforcement. This pup is a SUPER ALPHA. Without training, she'll be an aggressive, biting, and scary adult who could do damage to others, which will not be a good thing for her. She is a super smart girl, and I hope she'll learn proper manners.

She has more instinct than language at this age. Sometimes the best way to teach is by teaching with what they understand instinctually. That includes picking them up by the scruff of the neck and corrective growls just like their canine mom would do. It's not mean. It's not beating. It's not restraint. It's the language they know!

I don't believe in beating ANYBODY, and wouldn't beat a child. But, I would correct and teach a child. In the human world, we use reason, positive reinforcement, and negative reinforcement like time-outs and taking away privileges. Children who don't have the proper structure can be terrors. We teach them using human terms.

Puppies are different, and we have to use a language they understand. Treats are perfect for housebreaking and other lessons. They don't work for deterring negative behavior. I don't know about you, but I see aggression and biting as extreme negative behavior …. When you see it in a puppy, it's very disconcerting. What will the puppy be when it grows up? The behavior has to be stopped now, or it doesn't bode well for a long and happy life for the baby.

That's all I have to say on the topic. Have a good day.