Contributor
I am ready to get a puppy again, which is very exciting to me! I want to get a small breed, a dog that won't be more then about 15 lbs as I travel and want to take him (decided I want a boy) to be able to fly with me. I was leaning toward a maltipoo ....any advice??
Super Contributor

Re: Need advice on dog breed

Honestly, buy a wind up dog if you plan on flying.. Why put a dog through terror and possible tranquilizing or cargo storage or x-raying (potentially), just for your need for a travel companion.

Contributor

I don't need a travel companion. The reasoning for a small breed is to take him on the plane with me when need be. No cargo storage. My parents travel with their dog and there is no ""terror"" going on....she is happy and jumps into her travel bag ready and happy to go!
Super Contributor

On 10/21/2014 BayBarb said: I don't need a travel companion. The reasoning for a small breed is to take him on the plane with me when need be. No cargo storage. My parents travel with their dog and there is no ""terror"" going on....she is happy and jumps into her travel bag ready and happy to go!

There are many abandoned or surrendered dogs bought with the same dreaming about buying a dog of their own.

I want a dog just like ______________ <---- fill in the blank.

Many do not have pets because they travel. You cannot assume each dog will fill in your dream visualization of traveling.

There may even be restrictions of canines in some cases. Have you researched this completely?

Contributor

Yes I have. I have had many pets in my lifetime. I posted excited to reach other dog lovers and you have put a damper on that, thank you. Do you always look at the negative? I do not travel every week....but I do travel a few times per year. My last dog, was a large terrier and unfortunately passed away recently. Are you saying that people that need to travel should not have a pet? I respectfully disagree.
Contributor

Also I told you I am not looking for a travel companion...I do not have a dream visualization of traveling....not sure where you are getting that from. I simply am choosing a smaller breed so when I do travel he will not be boarded or left with a pet sitter. Maybe you think people shouldn't have children because they have to work?
Honored Contributor

Oh give the poor lady a break, BayBarb, I understand what you mean, I am not that familiar with small dogs, but yorkies, mini-poodles are all nice choices for small dogs. We have an English Bulldog and we don't travel (only day trips) because we don't want to leave in a kennel .......... but we are retired military so we have done lots of traveling before we had dogs!

Honored Contributor

I used to have a neighbor who had a poodle/maltese mix dog - cute as could be - BUT - and it's a big but - that dog barked from the moment it awoke until it fell asleep - never stopped for even a short while. They were right next door to us and we would say things to her husband like ""Does that barking bother you as much as it does us?"" Then he would put the dog in the house and she would immediately put it right back outside. They tried and tried to get it trained not to bark but even using a professional trainer did not work. We were so pleased when they moved and we didn't have to ever hear that dog again.

Contributor

On 10/21/2014 Hooty said:

Oh give the poor lady a break, BayBarb, I understand what you mean, I am not that familiar with small dogs, but yorkies, mini-poodles are all nice choices for small dogs. We have an English Bulldog and we don't travel (only day trips) because we don't want to leave in a kennel .......... but we are retired military so we have done lots of traveling before we had dogs!

Thank you for understanding.....
Contributor

On 10/21/2014 happy housewife said:

I used to have a neighbor who had a poodle/maltese mix dog - cute as could be - BUT - and it's a big but - that dog barked from the moment it awoke until it fell asleep - never stopped for even a short while. They were right next door to us and we would say things to her husband like ""Does that barking bother you as much as it does us?"" Then he would put the dog in the house and she would immediately put it right back outside. They tried and tried to get it trained not to bark but even using a professional trainer did not work. We were so pleased when they moved and we didn't have to ever hear that dog again.

Oh barking is a problem for sure.....I feel like with people all dogs have different personalities...I have two friends that have Yorkies ...one is a yapper and one is quiet as a mouse....