Respected Contributor

My Lab won't stop eating. It just occurred to me that I could put food in front of my dog every 15 minutes and she'd never stop eating. Is this common to the breed? Could this be a sign of a vitamin deficiency? Does anyone here give their dog vitamins?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about Labs (dogs)

The labs I have know have been food hounds that love to eat.

doxie

So are my dachshunds

Esteemed Contributor

If he's not gaining weight and he's extremely active then I'd say he's fine. You could always have him checked for worms or other parasites.

Most lab's I've know are always up for a game of fetch, catch, and running after just about anything!

I had one GSD that didn't know when to stop eating so I quit letting him graze and kept food to mealtimes. He was getting to be quite a porker!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a Lab, I have a Golden Retriever who will eat anything. Some breeds are like that, which is why we dog parents need to have specified feeding times and be careful not to overfeed or free feed. Believe me, as a new dog owner I thought my boy was hungry all the time so I increased his portions and all it did was make him too fat. I had to put him on a diet to get back to a healthy weight. If you're do doesn't have a defined waistline, that could be a clue that she's packing on extra pounds. Because the GR breed is prone to hip issues, I give my boy canine Glucosamine & Chondroitin, Canine Multi-vitamin, and Canine Omega-3 (which looks identical to a human one). Dosage is based on weight.

Esteemed Contributor

Rina33, I have owned Labs for more than 30 years. They are big eaters, will eat anything, any time, anywhere. We feed at certain times. It is not possible to leave food in their dish. They clean it every meal. Any other animal getting fed near them must protect their food. Be careful, they can get fat. Happily they also love exercise ... Running, frisbee, swimming especially. Extra pounds are bad for their hips so don't overindulge. Enjoy your Lab. Wonderful, loyal companions. LM

Trusted Contributor

Our lab did the same thing, he eats so fast, just woofs it down. We talked to the vet and feed him 1 cup 3 times a day so he wasn't so hungry 2 times per day, it worked well and he loved any veges also. He would sit by me when I was cutting up veges for a salad and just wait for his carrots, green peppers, and loved lettuce. Labs are the best Dogs Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

My labs were dogs that could not free feed. They had to have specific amounts and were fed 2x a day. Their allotment was split in half. They would eat every single morsel they could like they had never ever had a mealSmiley Happy

*Controlling weight was necessary because one was having hip issues as a senior.

Snugs to your labSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

You can try a slow feeding dish, like this one.

Frequent Contributor

On 10/19/2014 QsZoo said:

My labs were dogs that could not free feed. They had to have specific amounts and were fed 2x a day. Their allotment was split in half. They would eat every single morsel they could like they had never ever had a mealSmiley Happy

*Controlling weight was necessary because one was having hip issues as a senior.

Snugs to your labSmiley Happy

Ditto....my Lab is fed the same way. He is fit as a fiddle, although he would eat everything if I kept putting it out. Over eating will catch up to him/her in the later years, if you allow it to (i.e., hip issues, bad knees, etc.)

Esteemed Contributor

LOLA, I wonder what my Lab would do with that dish. I have a feeling she would try to tip it over lol!