Valued Contributor

Just wanted to post that Gracie is doing fine since her bout with pancreatitis!! The vet called me with her blood work results---her pancreatic enzymes are way down, as are her liver enzymes (much better since she's been off of the Rimadyl)--all great news! The only abnormal result was her BUN (kidney function)--it was slightly elevated--but it could be she was a bit dehydrated (Gracie gets very anxious when seeing the vet--she pants a lot and won't drink water)--so that doesn't have me too concerned. The vet suggested I bring her back in December to have her kidney functions tested again, just to make sure--I'm fine with that.

Gracie was started on her new dog food--just a few kibbles at a time mixed in with her chicken & rice--it seems to agree with her. She lost a little over 3 pounds since getting sick, but the vet likes her at this present weight, so will try to keep her at 39 pounds.

I am thrilled my angel baby is getting over her scary illness--hopefully it was a one-time thing.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Respected Contributor

Wonderful news! Don't be too worried about the BUN being elevated. It's the creantine (sp ?) that is the more important number, so as long as it was fine she'll be OK. Been there, done that.

Losing 3 lbs does seem a bit much, but she's not tiny to begin with. But still.... My girl lost a couple of lbs and she can't afford to. She should ideally weigh somewhere around 19 lbs, but it's been a struggle keeping weight on her since I've had her. She got down to 15 lbs which is way, way too thin.

Valued Contributor

Hi RedConvertibleGirl!!!

Glad you read my post--I wanted you to know that Gracie is doing well.

Thanks for the info re: BUN & creatinine---I'm guessing her creatinine was OK since the vet never mentioned it wasn't.

Is there anything more you can feed your angel to put weight on? What does her vet recommend?

Isn't it amazing that when we lose 3 pounds it isn't noticeable--but when our angels lose that amount, it shows.

I will keep your angel baby in my prayers,as always.

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Honored Contributor

What pawsome news!!!!

Sending more special prayers to your precious girl.

((((((((((((GRACIESMOM & HER BELOVED GRACIE)))))))))

-----------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, beastielove, for your kind good wishes and prayers!!!! They are very much needed and appreciated-for both of us!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless

GraciesMom

(We have something in common--all of my children have paws too!!)

Respected Contributor

She's doing OK with her weight now. She gets Avoderm Chicken and rice (canned) for dinner, then during the night she picks at Addiction Venison. She doesn't eat during the day. This combination is working well for her. Her internist would like her off of chicken, and just sticking with the novel protein but because of her problems it's "whatever she wants feed it to her".

We've been battling with some eye ulcers. The opthomologist performed a burr keratotomy (?) a few weeks ago (let's not discuss the cost - LOL) hoping it would help the ulcers heal. She's been squinting in one eye and it's red, so now I have to go pick up some special serum for that today. Honestly, it's always something. I just tell people she (and the other 3) are why we can't have nice things. Or just THINGS. LOL

Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness, RedConvertibleGirl!!! Your poor angel baby--now with eye ulcers!! Can you tell if she's in pain? I hope the serum you are picking up works on that red eye. I just felt awful for her when I read your post---I will continue to pray to St Francis to heal your dear pup--you are a wonderful Mommy and I'm sure she knows you are trying your best to help her!!

As long as your baby is eating, I agree--feed her what she wants to eat. I understand the vet wanting to stick with one novel protein, but every dog is different-- for some, out of the box thinking is the best way to go.

Right now, Gracie is still eating mainly my boiled chicken & rice--with a few kibbles of duck & potato--I have to go slowly to get her used to dog food again. She always did well on duck, so the vet thought it best we keep her on it. I still think the switch to venison brought on her pancreatitis, even though it is a lean meat---I will never give it to her again.

I know exactly what you mean about vet bills being sky-high--we are struggling to pay for Gracie's illness, plus the re-checks and now her ear infection. We have pet insurance for her, but on a $1400 bill, they will only pay $500---and I was just going to drop the insurance when she got sick. I will see how she progresses before I consider dropping it again--it has gotten expensive as she has gotten older.

I also know what it's like to not have THINGS, let alone nice ones! We never eat out or take vacations--can't afford to do anything without a lot of planning. However, we adore our Gracie-Girl and I wouldn't trade time with her for anything in the world--she is priceless to us. Everyone has different priorities--she is ours.

Hope your angel baby feels better quickly---please let me know how she is progressing.Again, daily prayers going out to her--and to you!!

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Respected Contributor

She's had problems with these ulcers, and with her eyes for so long since that's where the cancer showed up.

I always said I'd sell my car and live under a bridge if I have to to take care of my babies. I think she's thinking that sounds cool. LOL I meant to get insurance for her but you know how time gets away from you. And now that we're over $10,000, honestly what's a few hundred here and a few hundred there? Seriously though, it's not funny but it's our reality. I know a lot of people that would just let their pet die, but we are not like that. My babies have, and always will, come first. But no, no vacations or anything for us. We used to take little weekend trips when we just had the 3 and that was doable, but with 4 now and her being sick it's impossible.

We used to live in a townhome, then we bought a house with a yard. For the dog. Then we bought a house with acreage. For the dogS. Of course we paid a few thousand to have the backyard fenced so they'd be safe and secure. Honestly, everything we do really is all about them.

Valued Contributor

We seem to share the same philosophy---we do all we can for our angels--and then some!

We already had a house when we got our first dog (Nikki--a lab-mix)--it was then we realized that she needed our yard fenced in--and so, $5000 later, we had a lovely fenced in yard. Then we realized she needed a doggy door so she could come and go as she pleased--so we bought and installed one of those. Plus the dog beds upstairs and downstairs, the steel bowls and fancy dog foods--and the best vet we could find in our area. Nikki lived to be 14, then died of cancer--she was sick for one day--thank goodness she didn't suffer long.

We adopted Gracie two months later--she needed us desperately (and we needed her!).We started out spending a few thousand dollars on vet bills because she was so sick--we couldn't get pet insurance on her until her respiratory problems were cured. Still, almost every year something medically expensive comes up--and we have to do what we promised when we signed the adoption papers--take care of her to the best of our ability.We will continue to do so, no matter what--as you said--everything we do is all about our baby.

Even though I've been going through cancer treatment for three last three years, we still manage to keep Gracie safe and comfortable--we have a friend who is always willing to travel up to us to watch Gracie if need be--even our vet has been wonderful during times of emergency. My Mom passed away in March and the vet told me to bring Gracie to him to be watched until we got home from the funeral--and he refused to charge us--what a blessing that was!

Again, I will keep your angel in my daily prayers---please keep me updated!!

God Bless,

GraciesMom

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. How wonderful though that you have support from others.

Here is a big {{hug}} to both you and Gracie. You are both in my thoughts and prayers for continued strength and healing.