Respected Contributor

Hi all,

My beautiful 13 1/2 year old poodle Jake broke my heart a month ago. My other boy, who turned 10 last week has never been an only dog, so I decided to get another baby before he got too used to being alone. Tyler is pure sugar and spice. Such a fun and loving boy. He was also the dominant one in the house.

I brought a 13 week old puppy home 9 days ago. Tyler was with me when I picked her out. There were several puppies and dogs around, and although he jumped into my lap a few times, he was wandering around the grounds at the breeder's house for over an hour, and was overall fine.

Once we got home, Tyler became a mean boy. The puppy is a normal puppy pest. She wants to kiss him, cuddle up to him, and play with him. He snarls, growls, and snaps and screams at her. He has gotten somewhat better, but is very territorial on the couch and bed, and any time I'm near. I've tried extra loving and I've tried discipline. Neither works. While I'm managing the situation for now, I'm afraid it will be all out war once she's able to jump onto the couch, and I'm afraid he might hurt her when he can't escape. I also don't want him unhappy.

I have to make a decision on whether or not to keep her. She's smart, loving, and adorable, but I think I'll have to take her back this weekend for her own good as well as for Tyler's well being. Any tips on helping Tyler would be greatly appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Re: Older Dog, New Puppy. HELP!

What breed is Tyler and the new pup?

Respected Contributor

It is an adjustment period when you bring a new pet in the home. You need to be the alphsa so to speak. I would allow Tyler to have his time where the puppy is not messing with him and I would not leave them alone together. Let Tyler get use to the puppy in a crate and get the puppy out to spend time with you on the couch and Tyler on the other side. I would correct Tyler when he gets snappy if he seems to be just being mean. Now if he is telling the puppy to leave him alone then he has the right to accept the new puppy in time.

Only you can decide if the puppy needs to go back. It can work but it sometimes takes extra time.

Tyler may feel like the puppy is getting his love and attention so he needs to be loved and have some alone time with you as well. While you sit with them on the couch with one on each side then give Tyler a treat every few minutes that he is quiet and ignoring the puppy. The puppy will be happy just getting some petting probably.

You also know I am sure to feed them seperate.

doxie

Respected Contributor

On 10/14/2014 Doxie said:

What breed is Tyler and the new pup?

Both poodles. The puppy will end up a couple inches taller, but for now, Tyler is bigger.

Respected Contributor

It is an adjustment period when you bring a new pet in the home. You need to be the alphsa so to speak. I would allow Tyler to have his time where the puppy is not messing with him and I would not leave them alone together. Let Tyler get use to the puppy in a crate and get the puppy out to spend time with you on the couch and Tyler on the other side. I would correct Tyler when he gets snappy if he seems to be just being mean. Now if he is telling the puppy to leave him alone then he has the right to accept the new puppy in time.

Only you can decide if the puppy needs to go back. It can work but it sometimes takes extra time.

Tyler may feel like the puppy is getting his love and attention so he needs to be loved and have some alone time with you as well. While you sit with them on the couch with one on each side then give Tyler a treat every few minutes that he is quiet and ignoring the puppy. The puppy will be happy just getting some petting probably.

You also know I am sure to feed them seperate.

doxie

Thanks doxie. I've done all but the treats. This puppy is as much of a chow hound as Tyler. Where food is involved, neither is calm!

Respected Contributor

Maybe I would skip the treat then.

doxie

Respected Contributor

There is usually a period of adjustment, it's only been 9 days and that's a big age difference.

I don't feel you have truly given it enough time. A puppy is very hyper and your other dog is 10.

I am still going through an adjustment period with my 3 new kitties and my 16 year old dog and it's been 3-4 months but it is working out and it takes time.

I once adopted three dogs in 9 months, a puppy, a 3 year old and a 10 year old dog. The puppy wore everyone out and the other dogs weren't thrilled at first but it all worked out just fine. Now my puppy is 16 and I'm so glad I have her.

Wear the puppy out if you can, day care, walks and playing. The older dog will adjust, he is just jealous right now. Keep them separated a little more so he has his space and put him first. He will figure it out.

Respected Contributor

Thanks luvmyteddy. You've had great success! Jake, the boy I just lost, was a rescue. I got him at 11 months, and had him close to 3 years when I got Tyler. Having a puppy hurt Jake's heart, and he made himself sick. They did work it out, but it took a long time, and they were never buddies. I always regretted doing that to Jake, but like you, I'm so glad I have Tyler. Also, I truly believe that Jake was happier to never be left all alone in the house when I was out. For now, I'm making sure to continue my usual doting and loving in Tyler, and he gets a morning walk without the pup (after a joint walk).

Respected Contributor

Maybe I would skip the treat then.

doxie

Exactly! I'm housebreaking her using treats. She gets so excited after doing her business outside that if she were big, she would knock me over when coming to get her reward!

Respected Contributor

With the three dogs I had, the puppy and the 3 year old never took to the 10 year old. She was dumped by an elderly couple who only had her and she wanted to be friends with them but didn't know how. She got lots of attention from me but I always felt bad they didn't like her but that's okay at least they all had a home. She was the one dog I had that never got excited to see me or I couldn't see it but she was sweet and liked to lay by me. Some dogs never take to others.

Teddy will never take to the first feral cat I took in but she likes the kittens. They don't punch her in the face. I never thought the cat would play with the kittens but now they are finally playing and wrestling.

If you like the puppy and they are not fighting, I would give it time. They don't have to love each other. It's always great when they do but that doesn't always happen. Once I make a commitment it's a done deal.