Respected Contributor

Dog Put down at a Shelter twice is alive and well

I watched the Philly CBS news last night, Wednesday night, at 11 PM and they showed a dog that was dumped by it’s owner(down south) than hit by a car and taken to the shelter. Being it was a kill shelter and no one adopted this dog, about 4 years old, medium sized and had heart worm as well as being hit they put it to sleep, didn’t take so the vet did it again with another shot and he was declared dead. The next morning the dog was up and walking around and seemed fine. They are now treating him for the heart worm and going to do their best to find a home for him.
I sure hope this poor dog gets a really good home, sure deserved it that’s for sure.
did anyone see this, can at CBS Philly news and was on Wednesday at 11 PM.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog Put down at a Shelter twice is alive and well

It wasn't his time, was it. Smile If I were in the area, I would adopt him, regardless of what my feisty little terriers would think. "Truth is stranger than fiction"

Valued Contributor

That is quite a story. I wonder who is going to be lucky enough to adopt this dog, he is clearly special and meant for somebody. Did the shelter name him Lazarus by any chance?

Respected Contributor

Yes, that is the name they gave him I think? I know it started with an L and think it was that but wouldn't say for sure. I too would adopt him if closer even though we have 3 dogs and am feeding, sheltering a family of 7 feral cats. I got them all spayed/neutered as well as defleaed, got a 3 year rabies shot and DH built a home for them on our front porch. I put those Purr pads in, 2 each for winter, will be their second winter. I have a heated water bowl so they always have fresh water and a big bowl of dry Purina cat chow complete plus I feed them wet cat food twice a day as well as chicken, turkey and swiss cheese which is their favorite. For treats them get Temptations. They will let me get close but can only touch one but they all sit and look in the front(keep it open to know they are okay and do have an all glass storm door).

Three kittens were ''dumped'' here 2 years ago this past spring and one was a female and had 4 kittens so that makes 7 total but all are spayed and neutered now.

Why do people do this, throw away an animal. We have never had a cat, have always had dogs but I couldn't let them go hungry or cold so do what we can for them. I bought my own tender trap and took them to be spayed and neutered as I caught them, wasn't easy. I also said to deflea them and give them rabies shots and whatever other shots they needed. I can't catch them again, have tried since the mommy cat(only 2 1/2) now has a severe head tilt and would have liked to take her to the vet but have tried since late spring to get her, just can't again.

Anyway, sure hope that dogs gets a wonderful loving home, sure deserves it that's for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/11/2014 doglover3 said:

Yes, that is the name they gave him I think? I know it started with an L and think it was that but wouldn't say for sure. I too would adopt him if closer even though we have 3 dogs and am feeding, sheltering a family of 7 feral cats. I got them all spayed/neutered as well as defleaed, got a 3 year rabies shot and DH built a home for them on our front porch. I put those Purr pads in, 2 each for winter, will be their second winter. I have a heated water bowl so they always have fresh water and a big bowl of dry Purina cat chow complete plus I feed them wet cat food twice a day as well as chicken, turkey and swiss cheese which is their favorite. For treats them get Temptations. They will let me get close but can only touch one but they all sit and look in the front(keep it open to know they are okay and do have an all glass storm door).

Three kittens were ''dumped'' here 2 years ago this past spring and one was a female and had 4 kittens so that makes 7 total but all are spayed and neutered now.

Why do people do this, throw away an animal. We have never had a cat, have always had dogs but I couldn't let them go hungry or cold so do what we can for them. I bought my own tender trap and took them to be spayed and neutered as I caught them, wasn't easy. I also said to deflea them and give them rabies shots and whatever other shots they needed. I can't catch them again, have tried since the mommy cat(only 2 1/2) now has a severe head tilt and would have liked to take her to the vet but have tried since late spring to get her, just can't again.

Anyway, sure hope that dogs gets a wonderful loving home, sure deserves it that's for sure.

I don't understand how anyone could throw away an animal! Thanks for all you do! Yesterday, I saw on CNN, a man found a newborn baby girl (hear her crying) in the trash! He took her and called police. She was taken to the hospital, she is doing well and he and his wife hope to adopt her! HOW can anyone do this? There are safe places, fire stations etc to leave a child. We are a throw away society..so sad! KARMA!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Respected Contributor

Lucky doggie! For all the things that needed to happen for him to survive being given enough drugs to kill him TWICE he has an angel on his shoulder! He gets his shot at a happy ending. On the flip side I worry what's going on with the drugs at that shelter.

Respected Contributor

Very sad, but I.hope this dog gets a wonderful home!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Valued Contributor

Doglover3, you are an animal hero! Thank you for ALL you have done for these kitties - you have saved countless kitty lives by getting these guys spayed and neutered.

If you want to trap Mama, you can contact your local humane society and get the name of some of your local feral cat TNR (trap-neuter-return) groups. You can then contact them about borrowing a drop trap - I'm sure someone will be willing to help you. Good luck!!

Edited to correct my typoSmile

Super Contributor

What a heart-warming story .... God has a great purpose for this dog with 9-Lives !

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/11/2014 blueLagoon said:

What a heart-warming story .... God has a great purpose for this dog with 9-Lives !

Amen to that!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West