Trusted Contributor

Spanish Ebola Patient's Dog to be Euthanized

Just read today that Spanish authorities in Madrid are to euthanize the dog belonging to the Spanish nurse who fell ill with ebola. The dog's body will then be incinerated. It seems there is evidence that animals can pass ebola to others, so the authorities have decided this step is necessary.

Poor pup. How sad for his human family. And how scary to think of the possibility of household pets spreading this deadly communicable disease........

Super Contributor

Re: Spanish Ebola Patient's Dog to be Euthanized

Yes, it's been confirmed that dogs can contract Ebola and pass it on to humans.

Dogs remain asymptomatic, therefore can be carriers of Ebola without showing any symptoms of the disease.

Very sad for this family. Smiley Happy

And yes, I agree, the possibility of family dogs contracting Ebola and passing it on to their human family could become a very real concern.

Trusted Contributor

saw this on my Yahoo News page and it just made me very sad. This family has enough stress in their lives right now and then to have to part with their dear pet, who did nothing to bring this on, just makes me incredibly sad. They had a picture of her with her dog on her lap.

Have they determined how this woman got ebola in Spain? From what I have briefly read, she has not been to Africa. Makes you wonder if she somehow came into contact with someone who is/was contagious yet hasn't shown up at any care facility. Kind of scary.

That Texas case was handled so poorly. Even though, on his first visit to the hospital, he informed one of the nurses that he just came from Africa, she didn't pass on the info and they sent him home. Fortunately, this guy came back to the hospital on his own or we could have seen a serious spread of the disease here.

Respected Contributor

On 10/7/2014 wackers said:

Have they determined how this woman got ebola in Spain? From what I have briefly read, she has not been to Africa. Makes you wonder if she somehow came into contact with someone who is/was contagious yet hasn't shown up at any care facility. Kind of scary.

I think she caught it after she cared for a Spanish priest who was in West Africa & caught Ebola & was flown home to Spain for treatment & ultimately died of it last month.

Respected Contributor

It's so scary. I read this morning that not all scientists are convinced that it cannot be transmitted through the air. After all, if you sneeze or cough, you are releasing body fluids. Too bad about the dog.

Also just saw that the Dallas patient died. All the medical help in the world could not save him. Maybe if they had kept him the first time he was at the ER. Hope none of the people he contacted develop the disease because then they'll have to branch out their search for their contacts. What a nightmare.

Respected Contributor

On 10/7/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:

Yes, it's been confirmed that dogs can contract Ebola and pass it on to humans.

Dogs remain asymptomatic, therefore can be carriers of Ebola without showing any symptoms of the disease.

Very sad for this family. Smiley Happy

And yes, I agree, the possibility of family dogs contracting Ebola and passing it on to their human family could become a very real concern.

Could you cite the study or source that confirms this? All.i have read is that no conclusive data exists on this.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

Why did the news media feel it was necessary to post pictures of the dog??? I saw 2 different pics on the front page of MSN.

I didn't even want to think about it, let alone attach a picture to the heartache.

It WAS NOT necessary!

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/12/2014 goldenretriever said:

Why did the news media feel it was necessary to post pictures of the dog??? I saw 2 different pics on the front page of MSN.

I didn't even want to think about it, let alone attach a picture to the heartache.

It WAS NOT necessary!

Golden, I'm with you on that. When I see the pictures of things like that it stays with me and haunts me. As you said it's bad enough to know it goes on, we don't have to see a picture of the sweet pet.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

The American nurse's dog is being guarded by person in full protective gear in quarantine.