Honored Contributor

My dog's urine smells like cat urine.

I have an appointment for her with the vet in about an hour. When this first began, she was urine eating (I had to make this two words with an extra e as it does not allow the one word) at the outside doors and finding it outside the doors, I thought it was a neighborhood cat but when it was found in the laundry room, I knew it was our doggy. We have no other pets. We had sweet precious Grady, (the most beautiful blue Persian there ever was and perhaps the most beautiful cat ever), but he has been in Heaven almost 2 years now and he never used the floor in the laundry room.

He did not like Derry (the dog) so they lived in opposite sides of the house. (Grady felt he was royalty and did not like commoners like dogs), so he lived in my bedroom and bathroom, the family room and breakfast room. We have had those floors redone (anyway) since then.

Now that I am taking our puppy to the vet, what about my hardwood floors in the laundry room. They are parquet, so of course, they are very porous. I put vinegar, laid baking soda on that, followed by vinegar, followed by cleaning with dry towels, followed by more baking soda, followed by peroxide, followed by cleaning with dry towels, followed by enzymatic spray and more soda, allowing it to dry, sweeping it up, and the odor persists. What have I done wrong? Your help is most appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My dog's urine smells like cat urine.

I had a parquet floor in the kitchen at my previous house and found it difficult to clean once a stain had set into the wood. Now, with this house I have a variety of floor surfaces and have since purchased the Hann floor steamer and Don Astlett XO cleaner. I swear by these two items. I think the steamer is the only way to get the urine out/scent out from below the floor surface. The XO solution will neutralize the scent. You might have to make a few passes over the area because it is wood and you are using steam but this worked for me on my hardwood floor. I did have to some minor touchup work on a few areas that had water marks but it was worth it to solve the issue and not have to replace the floor.

Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

Re: My dog's urine smells like cat urine.

Thank you very much. I will have to try that. Others have recommended the Hahn steamer but was not aware of the efficacy of the Don Astlett XO cleaner. I will order it. I think I have to get the Hahn since so many trusted friends have recommended it.

The good part, my doggy does not have a urinary tract infection or stones. She is fine. Doc thinks she might have experienced an encounter with a skunk and was emptying her bladder and "marking" her territory against the skunk or cat that she encountered when she goes out at night to do her business. We don't go with her. We take her to the door, let her out and wait until she barks to let her in.

A neighbor was shot taking their dog out to for bathroom privileges by a prospective burglar. Wife heard shots, called police who were nearby and caught the burglar jumping fence. The neighbor is okay now and all ended well but I don't go out with the dog any longer at night.