Honored Contributor

DOES YOUR CAT UNDERSTAND WHAT "NO" MEANS ?

My new kitty, Bogart, is settling in nicely and I've been reading up on all the stuff that's out there about care for and training cats.

I've even had some luck with teaching him to come to me when I call .... not all the time, but we're working on it. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

HOWEVER ..... when it comes to NO .... he either doesn't understand ... or chooses to ignore me. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Has anyone had luck with teaching their cat the meaning of NO ??? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: DOES YOUR CAT UNDERSTAND WHAT ""NO"" MEANS ?

Yes, he does..but he doesn't believe it could be in reference to him

Trusted Contributor

Yes she absolutely understands what "no" means. I say "no" , she looks at me, yacks at me, and the goes right back to what she was doing, lol. But, she's almost 18, so I give the old girl a little slack.
"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Yes she does and amazingly she listens.
Valued Contributor

On 10/4/2014 shoekitty said:

You could be describing every one of my cats. They do not understand "no" the same way a dog does. I so rarely have to tell them "no", I just don't think it is in their vocabulary. I did tell my kitten (well, she's actually 1.5 years old) "no" the other day and it did not faze her in the least (she was using a leather foot stool as a scratching post).

Part of the reason may be that when you want to tell a cat "no", they are often doing something that is dangerous to themselves so you don't want to frighten them and have them get hurt so you just remain quiet and hope they get out of whatever they are doing i.e. balancing on top of a door OR they are doing something that could be dangerous to your own belongings if you were to yell "no" at them i.e. walking amongst your collection of Dresden china.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

My cat responds to bacon

Honored Contributor

Yes- it's his middle name.

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I've tried that works is to put water in a spray bottle, and if they're being really bad (except there's seldom anything that bad about a catSmile), I spray a little toward their face. If just a tiny bit hits them, they know it might be in their best interest to stop what they're doing. I haven't had to do it in a while, since I now have just a 16-year old and a 7-year old, and they don't get in much trouble.

I don't think it's cruel in any way, they just don't like it, and sometimes I go and love them if I've found it necessary to do it, because I'm the one who feels bad! However, after a few times of this, all I have to do is point the spray bottle at them, and they blink their little eyes and stop what they're doing! That doesn't necessarily mean they won't do it again...

That old thing about "Many years ago, cats were considered gods. Cats have never forgotten this!" is still true! Wink

Good luck with your baby!

Respected Contributor

On 10/4/2014 shoekitty said:

LOL, Shoekitty! So true, so true...

Valued Contributor

Um, no.

However, he WILL understand if I make a loud, annoying noise, like a clicking sound. Sounds weird, but just last night he went toward one of our chairs and decided to stick his claws in. I made this high-pitched sound and he stopped.