Esteemed Contributor

Dakota took a turn for the worst....

With a sad and heavy heart Dakota became very ill last night running a very high fever and blood in his stool .. his kidneys began to fail , he stopped eating and he was in a lot of pain. The vet said he was also starting to bleed from his rectum. I could not believe that he could go from being deemed healthy and this afternoon was sadly put to sleep at four o'clock this afternoon. His injuries proved to be more life threating then first thought. I saw the change in him when I got to the vet clinic this morning. He did not eat his breakfast and was just laying in his little cage. The blanket Lib got for him was stained with blood. We are in shock and never new I could feel such loss. The vet also teary-eyed was shocked and dismayed by all of it. I held little Dakota close to me his limp little body so warm with fever. He was whisked away from me I thought it was a few minutes it was close to a hour. Our little angel was put down as I held him as he crossed over to the other side. I was covered with blood as I managed the short ride home. I pulled over to the side and cried for all the animals we lost as a family and Dakota and Dash who never had a chance for a real forever home. I cried thinking of Libby what do I tell her once again this happened .. This has been one of the saddest days of my life. Please, pray for us! ANNA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dakota took a turn for the worst....

Oh, Anna, I'm so heartbroken to read about your dear Dakota -- and he was YOUR Dakota. Prayers from the Schmoo family to yours -- and I hope you and your family can take some comfort in knowing that your little pup fought valiantly, and in his last days on this earth he knew nothing but joy, love and hope.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Sammycat1 said:

Oh, Anna, I'm so heartbroken to read about your dear Dakota -- and he was YOUR Dakota. Prayers from the Schmoo family to yours -- and I hope you and your family can take some comfort in knowing that your little pup fought valiantly, and in his last days on this earth he knew nothing but joy, love and hope.

Thank you Sammy, It was so pitiful I can not begin to tell you.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/2/2014 Matty6 said:

He tried so very hard -- for the first time in his little life, he knew he was cherished beyond measure. I know it's no comfort to you to say that he's in no pain anymore, yet this I am sure of: He looks from Heaven to you and your family as the angels on earth who loved him as he should have been loved all along.

Esteemed Contributor

He tried so very hard -- for the first time in his little life, he knew he was cherished beyond measure. I know it's no comfort to you to say that he's in no pain anymore, yet this I am sure of: He looks from Heaven to you and your family as the angels on earth who loved him as he should have been loved all along.

Yes, He tried very hard. We planned wonderful homecoming. I am glad that Libby fell asleep she cried with Steven and I all afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a better person to have known him. God did not want him to suffer anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

Please tell Libby and all the members of your family that our tears are with yours tonight -- you have been members of our family, too, for many years. You stood up for all that was right and good to care for a pup monstrously abused. It's not right, what happened to Dakota, not right at all. Yet as long as people like you and your family live and breathe on this earth, animals have hope of the kind of sanctuary you were prepared to give Dakota.

As for Dakota, he is free -- the newest angel in a Heaven that holds the very best.

((((Anna and family))))

((((Dakota))))

Esteemed Contributor

This is also the anniversary of my fathers death.[October 2nd] My heart is broken.

Esteemed Contributor

Please tell Libby and all the members of your family that our tears are with yours tonight -- you have been members of our family, too, for many years. You stood up for all that was right and good to care for a pup monstrously abused. It's not right, what happened to Dakota, not right at all. Yet as long as people like you and your family live and breathe on this earth, animals have hope of the kind of sanctuary you were prepared to give Dakota.

As for Dakota, he is free -- the newest angel in a Heaven that holds the very best.

((((Anna and family))))

((((Dakota))))

Thank you so much Sammy...Bless you and your family.

Esteemed Contributor

This is also the anniversary of my fathers death.[October 2nd] My heart is broken.

I'm so very, very sorry. Your heart must be raw with grief right now. And yet I think somehow Dakota has found his way to your angel father's lap tonight.