Respected Contributor

Parrot People!! Have U ever had a Cockatiel for 25 years?

This question can only be answered by someone with experience w/ cockatiels.

I had a "bonded" pair of cockatiels who were together for 24 years. The female died a month ago and the male has become mean & ornery. He used to be gentle and friendly and loved to jump on my finger. Now he bites me. At nite he refuses to go in his cage. So, he sleeps on the ceiling fan all nite.

I try to keep him on my shoulder when I'm home, but he's becoming a nuisance with the biting and cleaning the bird poo is becoming a bit much. At least when he had a companion, he was happy to stay in the cage all day.

Do you think I should get him another female? Or has he "forgotten" already?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Parrot People!! Have U ever had a Cockatiel for 25 years?

I have had several Tiels and right now have an African Gray, Blue Crown Conure, Brown Throated Conure and a Red Bellied Parrot. I have a lot of experience with Birds, owning them since 1989. I can't believe your Bird was so tame when he had a mate. Usually, it is the other way around they actually don't want anything to do with the human when they have a mate. So, first off, I would not let him sleep on the ceiling fan, this is dangerous for him as he could end up anywhere in the house during the night, in the toilet, in the sink, who knows. It is dangerous so he should be put in his cage. He probably misses his Girl but since he was tame before, I would have his wings clipped then work with holding him and putting him on your finger and shoulder in dim lighting. Keep it calm and with work, he should come along. A Bird who can fly perceives itself as powerful. I am not sure that I would get him a young mate, since he is so old and was bonded to the girl you lost. Good luck with this.

Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 conlt said:

A Bird who can fly perceives itself as powerful. I am not sure that I would get him a young mate, since he is so old and was bonded to the girl you lost.

Re: Flight = "power" - Interesting! All those years, I never clipped my birds' wings.

Thanks for the feedback.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 10/1/2014 conlt said:

I have had several Tiels and right now have an African Gray, Blue Crown Conure, Brown Throated Conure and a Red Bellied Parrot. I have a lot of experience with Birds, owning them since 1989. I can't believe your Bird was so tame when he had a mate. Usually, it is the other way around they actually don't want anything to do with the human when they have a mate.

That's an awesome collection you have! Re: my bonded pair: The female was not friendly and did not like to be handled. But, the male was always friendly. He was already trained when I got him (1990), so he loved sitting on my shoulder, jumping on my finger and giving kisses. Now he's biting. It's kind of sad, really, that he's become so mean. And he hates being alone. If I try to leave him in the bird room during the day, he squawks until I take him out of his cage. And he doesn't eat his food anymore. All he eats is millet. And I rarely see him drink water. Maybe he's still grieving. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Super Contributor

Aw. Buy him a girlfriend. There are many sweet girl birds who are homeless and so tame and sad because Joe or Jane went to college and mum and dad don't want to take care of their pets.

I'd try a rescue center. Maybe even some will allow you to bring cranky pants (in a small cage) so he can choose.

Maybe you'll post a thread in a few months! She laid 2 eggs!

Respected Contributor

On 10/2/2014 ical said:

Aw. Buy him a girlfriend. There are many sweet girl birds who are homeless and so tame and sad because Joe or Jane went to college and mum and dad don't want to take care of their pets.

I'd try a rescue center. Maybe even some will allow you to bring cranky pants (in a small cage) so he can choose.

No eggs, please! (We need a "post-menopausal" bird. LOL!)

I'm sure if he had a "companion", he'd mellow out. The problem is -- me. I'm in my 60's and I had these birds almost 25 years. If I get a "young" bird, she may outlive me and I never want to be in a situation where I have to give away my pets (due to old age, bad health, death, etc.). Honestly, when I'm in my 70's, I don't want to have any pets at all. I want a clean house (for a change) and no "kids" -- no kitty litter boxes, no doggie toys, no bird poo or dirty pet bedding to clean, constant vacuuming, etc.. If I want to take a trip, I can just get up & go! No petsitters.

Anyway, I've been going thru the overstock.com/pet ads but all of the parakeets and cockatiels are at least 100 miles away from me.

If I end up getting another bird, I'll update the thread. Thanks for the feedback.

Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Suggest taking him to your avian vet. At 25 he is definitely considered a senior. Perhaps it is more physical than behavioral.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

On 10/2/2014 rina33 said:
On 10/2/2014 ical said:

No eggs, please! (We need a "post-menopausal" bird. LOL!)

I'm sure if he had a "companion", he'd mellow out. The problem is -- me. I'm in my 60's and I had these birds almost 25 years. If I get a "young" bird, she may outlive me and I never want to be in a situation where I have to give away my pets (due to old age, bad health, death, etc.). Honestly, when I'm in my 70's, I don't want to have any pets at all. I want a clean house (for a change) and no "kids" -- no kitty litter boxes, no doggie toys, no bird poo or dirty pet bedding to clean, constant vacuuming, etc.. If I want to take a trip, I can just get up & go! No petsitters.

Anyway, I've been going thru the overstock.com/pet ads but all of the parakeets and cockatiels are at least 100 miles away from me.

If I end up getting another bird, I'll update the thread. Thanks for the feedback.

Smile

Maybe he would like a mirror and he'd think it's a girl looking back at him?

I didn't realize cockatiels lived that long!

Respected Contributor

On 10/2/2014 ical said:

Yep. They live a long time. BTW, he does go "nuts" when I put a mirror up to him. He starts singing like crazy. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

On 10/3/2014 rina33 said:
On 10/2/2014 ical said:

Yep. They live a long time. BTW, he does go "nuts" when I put a mirror up to him. He starts singing like crazy. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I think this is a male trait among all species. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}