Respected Contributor

Need Suggestions: Older dog can't climb

My Lab mix is about 17 yrs. old and is having a difficult time jumping on the bed. I could get a lower bed frame, but the one I have is only 2 yrs. old and it was very expensive so I don't want to dump it. (Plus, it's enormous and heavy.) I've tried putting doggie steps next to the bed, but my dog doesn't "get it". My neighbor said he could make her a wedge platform, but if she doesn't "get" the steps, I'm not sure she'll "get" the platform either. I've lifted her into the bed a few times, but that's bad for my back.

I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestions?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Contributor

Re: Need Suggestions: Older dog can't climb

Rina, are you using store bought doggie steps? I have never had much success with those. They are seldom wide enough or sturdy enough. I had a set of bed stairs built for my seniors. They are very secure and wide and fully covered with carpeting. They do take up some space but it is well worth it. If you have a handy man or woman in your life they could build them for you and you could cover in carpet. That may help your old timer.
Respected Contributor

I did the same thing for my senior dog and they are great.

I built up the back door steps with pavers to make the incline not so steep.

The platform for my bed steps are 48'' long and divided in half for the second step, each 8 inches high and 22'' wide. So both platforms are 24'' in length and it is carpeted. It only took a few times for her to get use to them and she doesn't fall anymore. I had him put a lip on the side to catch her if she does have trouble. Teddy is 20 pounds but could be big enough for a much larger dog.

I bought a special lease for my GS that was 17 and I used it to get her on and off the bed. The lifting was killing my back. They fit over the back legs and you can hold up her back end very easily. I had to use it every time I got her off the bed and to walk outside. I got it from handicapped pets from Ireland. She had nerve damage in her back legs and couldn't use them anymore.

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 luvmyteddy said:

I bought a special lease for my GS that was 17 and I used it to get her on and off the bed. The lifting was killing my back. They fit over the back legs and you can hold up her back end very easily. I had to use it every time I got her off the bed and to walk outside. I got it from handicapped pets from Ireland. She had nerve damage in her back legs and couldn't use them anymore.

I saw those harnesses in a drsfoster&smith catalog. My problem would be "timing". I'd have to lift her hind legs as soon as she jumps up. Not sure if I could manage the timing since she usually makes several attempts, turning back around, going out in the hallway and then darting for the bed 2-3 X before she actually makes it. Sadly, sometimes she doesn't even bother trying to "jump". She'll go back & forth 2-3X, then just stand by the bed or lay down in the hallway. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 rina33 said:
On 9/27/2014 luvmyteddy said:

I did the same thing for my senior dog and they are great.

I built up the back door steps with pavers to make the incline not so steep.

The platform for my bed steps are 48'' long and divided in half for the second step, each 8 inches high and 22'' wide. So both platforms are 24'' in length and it is carpeted. It only took a few times for her to get use to them and she doesn't fall anymore. I had him put a lip on the side to catch her if she does have trouble. Teddy is 20 pounds but could be big enough for a much larger dog.

I saw those harnesses in a drsfoster&smith catalog. My problem would be "timing". I'd have to lift her hind legs as soon as she jumps up. Not sure if I could manage the timing since she usually makes several tries, turning back around, going out in the hallway and then darting for the bed 2-3 X before she actually makes it. Sadly, sometimes she doesn't even bother trying to "jump". She'll go back & forth 2-3X, then just stand by the bed or lay down in the hallway. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

I didn't have steps for my GS so the harness was all I used. If you have the special platform built you wouldn't need the harness unless you are outside and she gets worse.

Teddy would have to make several attempts to jump on the other make shift step I had and usually fall backwards. I had to buy a new mattress which is three inches higher and it messed everything up. With the new platform she is able to make it on the first try. She will always make the first step but then the longer platform makes it easier to get to the second platform and then another few inches to the bed. If I need to I put my hand under her butt and give her a little push. She is quick and has to make a running start from the hallway but she is learning.

Trusted Contributor

Would your dog walk up a ramp onto your bed?

Respected Contributor

On 9/27/2014 deb5555 said:

I WANT THAT RAMP! (sorry for screaming ) Where did you get it? Please.

Gracias!

Respected Contributor

I think I just figured out what to do .... If I take the legs OFF my bedframe, the bed will be 7.5" lower. That should do the trick. Smile

Respected Contributor

Hi! Yes that is a hard problem to deal with. You can order the ramp or a similar one at Petsmart, online, says not in stores.

We have the same problem with our Jakie too, and it worries us a lot. He has a hard time with steps too. I feel so bad for them as they don't understand this.

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Trusted Contributor

On 9/27/2014 rina33 said:
On 9/27/2014 deb5555 said:

I WANT THAT RAMP! (sorry for screaming {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}) Where did you get it? Please.

Gracias!

We bought 2 for each of our vehicles from sportsmanguide dot com, love them! We trained him to walk up them with a treat and it worked perfect...