Esteemed Contributor

Dakota is better today.. He is more playful ... putting weight on his sprained little paw and he is even holding his tail a bit better. We are all hoping and praying that he will not have to have a operation on his tail. But, the vet wants to wait until Tuesday to do the operation if there is no improvement. He is deemed healthy to be adopted out to us which is good news. The burns are healing nicely and he will have to have them drained for three more days. The dew claws that were removed have to be covered with bandages until that injury heals as well.[and so he will not teeth on them] More blood tests will be taken tomorrow. And he has made a lot of friends at the vet clinic this morning I saw some new toys and treats from the medical technicians that work there. And one of his nurses said he had a sponge bath which he loved. [well being a Lab not surprised] Have a good night everyone! AnnaSmile

Valued Contributor

Re: Dakota..... A new update!

Matty, I have been following the updates but have not had a chance to tell you how happy I am for you and your family - and Dakota of course! I just knew that a puppy that really needed you would be placed in your path. Pretty sure that your beloved Pluggy had something to do with it!
Esteemed Contributor

On 9/26/2014 Sheltie Mom said: Matty, I have been following the updates but have not had a chance to tell you how happy I am for you and your family - and Dakota of course! I just knew that a puppy that really needed you would be placed in your path. Pretty sure that your beloved Pluggy had something to do with it!

Thanks for saying that Sheltie... after what happened with Dash I knew that at least I had some control of this situation. I think that Pluggy had something to do with Dakota also. I was even more protective of Dakota after the heart ache with Dash. Thanks for saying exactly what I needed to hear. Have a good weekend!Smile

Honored Contributor

I am so happy to read the good news! Bless you all, and enjoy the weekend.
Respected Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub} Thanks so much for the update! BTW, I love the name.

I just feel so angry that some sicko did that to him. They wanted to cause him pain, then toss him away like a piece of trash. I won't say here what I wish for them...

Hugs & kisses to the new baby. Eventually, I'd LOVE some pics of the lucky little boy.

God Bless you for taking care of him.

Respected Contributor

He's feeling better, not only from the medical attention, but from the love he's received from your family and the staff at the veterinary hospital. He'll get stronger and stronger every day. Thanks for the frequent updates; I so enjoy good news for a change. Give Dakota a big smooch from his Pets Forum friends!
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Esteemed Contributor

Anna, I am happy he's doing better but its so hard to hear about his injuries. I just feel so bad for him. He shouldn't have to deal with pain, he's just a baby. I'm sorry, I just want him well and pain free as soon as possible, which I know you do too! I'm so glad all the med techs are spoiling him and giving him toys..he deserves all things good. I love you and your family for caring for Dakota..you are precious! An angel, Dakota was sent to you from Pluggy..I believe as others have stated too!{#emotions_dlg.wub}Goodnight, and thanks for the updates, I look forward to them now! Dakota has many aunties out here that care about him!{#emotions_dlg.tt1}I bet that sponge bath felt great, bless that nurse for giving him one!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the update and I am so happy he is doing better and I am praying that his tail heals and no surgery will be needed as he has suffered enough. I hate hearing of his injuries as it makes me so sad and cry that people can be so vicious to a sweet darling animal.Dakota may have started his life in the most horrific way but he is blessed to have be found by you and your family. There surely is a special place in Heaven for you and your family.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the updates Matty, it's so great to hear some good news. I was so shocked and angry when you said he had burns on 20% of his body, but, oh my gosh, he is so lucky to have found you and your family!!! I keep picturing him as a black lab because my sister had a black lab named Dakota. He literally walked up their driveway as a very sick 9 month old, but he recovered and lived a long life afterwards. When we finally had to have him put to sleep, we were bringing him in as a young couple was leaving with a black lab about the age of your Dakota. They had just found him and brought him in for a check-up. It reminded me of the circle of life, it really is true.

You missed out on Dash and that was heartbreaking, but it was only because this little one was being guided in your direction. I hope you have good news on Tuesday!

Super Contributor

That's wonderful to hear! Haven't the authorities and the press gotten involved? I mean, we hear so many reports in the media regarding animal abuse, that they really try to publicize it to get the person(s) involved, because if they will do this to a puppy, they could (and may well be) doing it to people, including children. There was a case that even made national news, a few of them. And laws changed in some states in regard to the penalties for animal abuse. And you have burning wounds, and signs of torture seen in Dakota. {#emotions_dlg.sad}