Super Contributor

Update on adventure with Tiger Baby

Well weeks ago Tiger Baby was in the bathroom with a hurt paw. The paw was healing, enough so he could walk on it. He was a determined stray. He loved the outdoors and came by for meals. So he was in the bathroom and would let me hold him and pet him so I thought the next step to getting him used to living inside was to let him out of the bathroom and stay in my bedroom. Big mistake. He crawled under furniture and would, would not let me get him out. Hissed, bit, scratched. He did go out while we were sleeping to eat. That was it.

So to make the mistake bigger (I was grasping at this point), I decided if he roamed the house, eventually he would get to used to the house and everyone. Yes, he roamed for about two days, then disappeared. I looked for him everywhere for 24 hours. The next day I found him----outside!! Don't ask me how he got out. He came for food again. I started feeding him as before. sigh.

This time outside, he wouldn't let me get near him, ran at the sight of me. He hates me!! About a week later he would let DH pet him. Once, while DH petted him, I came up to pet also. That seemed to break the ice between us. While I was on vacation, DH emailed me and said that Tiger Baby is coming into the house through the back door to eat. When I got home, he still did that for a while, but then switched to the front door again.

I sat down and gave Tiger treats and pets. Treats and pets, that did it. He is now my best friend, Tiger "lives" by my front door. He hangs around the front door all day. I feed him and he wants pets, and even rubs against me (a lot), He loves me!! He will come in past the front door to eat, but then goes out again. Sometimes he comes through the back door to eat the other cats' food.

Question: Do you think he will ever get used to hanging inside? I hate seeing him out there in over 100 degree weather, and in the winter we have really cold nights, frost even. I live 4000 ft up in California and the weather is very extreme either way during the year. What is your advice?

PS: What ever happens will be on his terms, I've learned that.

Respected Contributor

Re: Update on adventure with Tiger Baby

We've all been waiting for a new update, thanks! I do agree that he wants life on his own terms. I think he knows he's always welcome in the house, but he's not ready to let his guard down completely yet. Keep on letting him come in to eat and spoil him rotten. If the weather is making him uncomfortable, he'll always know that he can come inside whenever he wants. He knows that your house is his home. I think everything is just too overwhelming for him at this point, and he needs to know that he has his freedom whenever he wants it.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update, if he won't come in once winter sets in you can get him a heated cat house, or crack your garage door and put a heated cat bed in there. We had a stray we were feeding 2 years ago that wouldn't come in and I put a bed in the garage and left the door cracked. I fed her in there and left her water. Now she lives in the house but that is because we had to move and she had no choice if she was coming with us.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the update - sounds like you two have things worked out in a way that is best for each of youSmile

My parents have "patio cats" and over the course of 3-4 years, 4 of the 5 have come to live indoors, there is a fifth one who chooses to remain outside most of the time so Tiger Baby may decide to come in, he may not. Provide him with the best shelter you can and keep feeding him, he may decide in January that he would rather be inside with you!

Were you able to get him neutered? That will help curb his wandering ways and calm him down too. Did they tip the ear if you did get him neutered?

Thanks for taking care of his paw and giving him a home on your front porch!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} It's always nice to hear about people doing nice things for their community cats.

Super Contributor

Well, guess who was walking in the house, going through the kitchen and around the entry waiting for me this morning. The other cats (well, just one) weren't too sure about him being in the house, but then they all got interested in breakfast. Afterwards, he left the house. Let's see what happens.

When he was hiding out and hissing, I think his paw still bothered him, and that's why he wanted to be left along under the furniture. The reason I say this is when he got back outside, I noticed he still favored the hurt paw even though he walked on it.

Now that he is feeling better, he is much more sociable. I wonder if he really will become one of the family. Your replies have given me hope.

Respected Contributor

Hello, luvingit.

It sounds like your kitty may just be used to being a stray and isn't sure how a life with humans will be. He may have been a stray for a long time and may have been abused by previous owners....maybe. If that's the case, he may be extra cautious and wants to see how you'll react.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 luvingit said:

Well, guess who was walking in the house, going through the kitchen and around the entry waiting for me this morning. The other cats (well, just one) weren't too sure about him being in the house, but then they all got interested in breakfast. Afterwards, he left the house. Let's see what happens.

When he was hiding out and hissing, I think his paw still bothered him, and that's why he wanted to be left along under the furniture. The reason I say this is when he got back outside, I noticed he still favored the hurt paw even though he walked on it.

Now that he is feeling better, he is much more sociable. I wonder if he really will become one of the family. Your replies have given me hope.

That's a really good sign. He knows your house is his home, he's just not ready to fully commit yet, LOL.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James