Super Contributor

Hi everyone,

I took my 8-yr-old kitteh to the vet a couple of weeks ago because of two pimple-like bumps on his back. His history includes enucleation of one eye a year ago due to melanoma. At that time, there was no metastasis. The vet does not think the pimples are related to the melanoma at all as she said any metastasis would be to his organs (lung first) and not to the skin. His blood work and an x-ray were normal.

The vet's first thought was an environmental irritant, but nothing has changed in our household. The only "chemicals" I use for cleaning is detergent for the laundry, a tiny bit of furniture polish once a week, and a small amount of Comet in the bathroom. The vet prescribed a topical antibiotic, but my cat was licking it off, so I stopped using it.

My cat is acting perfectly normally, eating, playing, sleeping as usual. He's not scratching or licking unusually. When I touch the pimples, he doesn't react at all. It doesn't appear to hurt or bother him in any way.

What concerns me is that two new bumps have appeared that I know for sure weren't there 2 weeks ago. One is on the back of his neck and one in the sparse fur under his ear. Again, he doesn't react to my touching it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you would proceed. Wait and watch a little longer? Get him to the vet again immediately? Change his food right away in case it's just a food allergy? He eats Nature's Recipe Grain Free dry food and only 1/2 small can of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers/day.

I'll call the vet tomorrow, but I suspect she will want to do a biopsy. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

TIA!

Valued Contributor

Oh hai, puglet1. I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with this sort of thing so I won't try to diagnose except to say that I wouldn't change his food if he is acting perfectly normal. No sense inviting trouble.

If there is one thing I have learned in all my years of having pets, it is to listen to my inner voice when it comes to their health. No one knows your kitty better than you and if you are worried about these bumps, then you should either go back to your vet or, if it were my kitty, I would get a second opinion from another vet. They are only human and have their own biases and opinions and since she has already told you not too worry, maybe it would help to hear either that same diagnosis from a different vet or the new vet might have a different idea about what he/she is looking at.

Given his history it might be difficult to get a proper second opinion without going to some trouble re his health records. If that is so, could you see another doctor at this practice (unless, of course, it is a solo practice)? If you have to or really want to see the same doctor and she wants to do a biopsy, get it done if you possibly can. It will save you from a lot of fruitless worrying.

I'm sure other posters will have some ideas for you.

Good luck to you and your kitteh!

Super Contributor

Thanks mewsmomtoo. I understand what you're saying about my gut feeling. Unfortunately, I think I've become unduly paranoid because of last year's melanoma and eye surgery and I don't want to put my kitteh through any unnecessary stress because of my paranoia. A trip to the vet is a major deal for him. I will probably keep a close watch to see if the pimples disappear, then take him to the animal hospital (we have lots of vet choices around here) next week for a 2nd opinion.

I'd still appreciate anyone else's thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Hi puglet...

I read your post on the Pancake thread this morning and I think that you might be onto something in regards to the type of brush that you're using to brush Chance's fur. Perhaps you should try to use a different type of brush that doesn't have the metal bristles or even try using the grooming mitt that I mentioned in my post.

I do hope that the brush is the reason for the pimples and that it isn't anything else.

Sending your sweet boy lots of kisses. Please plant them on his furry head for me.

-------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

There might be a formula change in the food that doesn't agree with him. I just thinking out loud. Bedding, plants, treats, toys - any that are new? New furniture polish? If the doctor prescribe cream - perhaps the cone of shame is needed. Sending tons of good thoughts and hugs to your kitteh.