Super Contributor

My dog is 14 and has been in ok shape. Her back legs sometime buckle when she walks, but she can walk.

Well this morning, she went to get up from her bed, and she couldn't get her balance. She kept toppling over. Her back legs wouldn't support her. I don't know what happened. SHe did eat her dog food. But her neck was looking funny.

Could she have had a stroke? I am so worried about her. I have a vet appt tonight. Just yesterday she was walking around in the backyard.

Contributor

Re: Worried about my senior dog

I don't have an answer for you but I want you to know I'm thinking about you and your doggie, and hoping you get good news. Please let us know what the vets says.

Trusted Contributor

So many things can happen with old pets. You're doing the right thing to take her to the vet today. Hoping for the best; let us know what you find out.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like problems with a disc. Keep your dog crated or still as much as possible. I hope you'll be back to let us know what happened at the vet.

Super Contributor

I'm so sorry for what your dog is going through, and you as her owner. I do know that when a dog is weak, it might be a good idea to use a harness…that way you can hold up the back legs to help them walk. When our dog was weak (from renal failure), she couldn't get up. Your dog may have this weakness due to being old, or hip issues (your vet will tell). But using the harness helps to walk them. When the harness became uncomfortable, I ended up using a child's shirt and putting it over our dog's head, just like a kid, and we'd hold the shirt from the dog's back to support her so she could walk.

Good luck! Dogs are sweet creatures and I am sure you are heartbroken to see her ill. I hope she gets better!

Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear your girl is having problems. Will keep you in my prayers. Please let us know how you do at the vet.
Respected Contributor

I hope it goes well at the vet.

doxie

Respected Contributor

It's heartbreaking when our companions of many years experience something like this.

You and your dog are in my thoughts. Please keep us posted as what the vet found.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry your dog is having problems. I hope he is doing ok. It is SO hard to see our sweet animals sick!!
Honored Contributor

It is so hard with senior animals, as they can have such changes at the drop of a hat.

Hope the vet was able to shed some light on things, and please keep us posted on the progress.