Honored Contributor

Does anyone give their dog fish oil capsules?

Hi. My dog has contact allergies.....primarily on his feet since they are what have contact with grass and dirt. Someone told me to give him fish oil capsules (like people would take) and they'd help his skin, fur and contact allergies. Have you ever done that? If so, am I correct you go for a low dose? What else have you done? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone give their dog fish oil capsules?

I have given the capsules from the vet called Free Form Snip Tips (kinda expensive) and I also have given the Alaska Natural Wild Salmon Oil, in a squirt bottle (Amazon). It's difficult to say if it has helped my dog's itching or not, but it's definitely not hurting anything, and the Alaska Natural is affordable. As for dosage, follow the instructions on the container.

You could ask your vet for a medicated shampoo and wash his feet at the end of the day or end of the time he's outside. I use Keratolux, but I'm sure there are many others. Why do you think it's a problem with his feet? Does he bite his feet?

Is your pup a terrier? Mine is a Westie, and they are known for awful itchy skin problems. There is a Westie website with a lot of good information about treating skin problems which could be helpful to you whether or not you have a Westie. Food allergies could be in play for your dog. http://www.westierescueoc.com/the_westie_diet

Super Contributor

Yes. Three 1000 MG soft gels.
Honored Contributor

On 9/13/2014 happygal said:

I have given the capsules from the vet called Free Form Snip Tips (kinda expensive) and I also have given the Alaska Natural Wild Salmon Oil, in a squirt bottle (Amazon). It's difficult to say if it has helped my dog's itching or not, but it's definitely not hurting anything, and the Alaska Natural is affordable. As for dosage, follow the instructions on the container.

You could ask your vet for a medicated shampoo and wash his feet at the end of the day or end of the time he's outside. I use Keratolux, but I'm sure there are many others. Why do you think it's a problem with his feet? Does he bite his feet?

Is your pup a terrier? Mine is a Westie, and they are known for awful itchy skin problems. There is a Westie website with a lot of good information about treating skin problems which could be helpful to you whether or not you have a Westie. Food allergies could be in play for your dog. http://www.westierescueoc.com/the_westie_diet

Hi. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the website. Yes, he's part terrier. I do rinse off his feet after we've been outside and it has helped just a little.

Valued Contributor

Yes, I give my dogs one 1200 mg fish oil capsule a day.
Regular Contributor

I also have a terrier with allergies. I give him one fish oil capsule, along with one half teaspoon of flax seed. It helps somewhat, but I still usually have to take him to the vet if the itching gets bad. If we can get thru the next two months, we should be fine.
Honored Contributor

Maybe I need to be doing this, also. His food has it in it but maybe it's not enough. I don't want to go crazy on supplements, but if it's appropriate I'm for it.

He is a 90# golden retriever and he does get Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM, per doctor's recommendation. He has a proclivity for ligament pulls and we are afraid he will end up with a tear. I started doubling the Glucosamine/etc, in hopes that it will help to preclude another incident.

Honored Contributor

I've thought about trying this. I'm going to go ahead and do it now that I've read these posts.

Honored Contributor

Like chickenbutt, I have a big Golden Retriever. I give him a dog multi-vitamin and glucosamine & condroitin every day, but never considered fish oil. I'm really devoted to him and try to do everything I know of that's good for him. If he should have the fish oil, I'm all for it. I'm going to get him started on this.

Thanks for bringing this up. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Super Contributor

You MUST use a fish oil intended for a dog. DO NOT use human capsules.

Dogs need extra vitamin E when taking fish oil capsules or it can cause an imbalance in their bodies.

I learned this is a cancer forum when Daisy was battling the beast.