Super Contributor
I know this is an old topic, but now it is relevant to me, so I hope you won't mind me asking for feedback. What vaccinations do you do for your dogs? I know I am inclined to do fewer and will appreciate your opinions and experiences. Thanks!
Honored Contributor

I get the ones that are indicated for my area of the country. Your vet doc should know what vaccinations are appropriate for where you live. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I know my vet's opinion is that dogs are over-vaccinated nowadays. However, I rely on his opinion regarding which vaccines are required and which are optional. Check with your vet for his advice.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

My dog has to have rabies and bordatella (kennel cough) if he wants to go to the dog park, a groomer, obedience classes or boarding.

My vet asked if he would be going to any of those, before giving him a bordatella booster. If not, it was optional (and it was given orally, not as an injection).

Rabies is mandated by law.

Honored Contributor

Rabies, Distemper, Bordetella, and Lymes Disease

Super Contributor

Don't forget to vaccinate against parvovirus. It's highly contagious.

Respected Contributor

Animals are WAAAAYYY over-vaccinated. So many vets give the multiple vacs (5-in 1, 7-in 1, etc),

You should NEVER vaccinate an ailing animal, or one that is very stressed. IF you get the rables vac, only get the 1 year (they can be extremely harmful). I wouldn't keep vaccinating an older animal, either.

Is your dog kept at home....in the house & fenced yard? Is it exposed to other "stranger" dogs, or are you out & about walking your dog?

All I can say is to do research & go with your gut.

Honored Contributor

Mine had all shots and a rabies, but that is all I intend to do, and is what I did with my former dogs and cats. I just don't believe in vaccinating over and over.

Super Contributor
On 9/25/2014 goldenretriever said:

Animals are WAAAAYYY over-vaccinated. So many vets give the multiple vacs (5-in 1, 7-in 1, etc),

You should NEVER vaccinate an ailing animal, or one that is very stressed. IF you get the rables vac, only get the 1 year (they can be extremely harmful). I wouldn't keep vaccinating an older animal, either.

Is your dog kept at home....in the house & fenced yard? Is it exposed to other "stranger" dogs, or are you out & about walking your dog?

All I can say is to do research & go with your gut.

Nice if this were true in my case it isn't. I do know that if you get a rabies shot within the time of it passing, you can have your dog vaccinated every three years.

So one year, I thought I was part of this 3-year wait. I got a knock on the door and they were going to take my dog! Luckily I have a vet friend who I immediately called and administered a shot. IT WAS AN INSIDE DOG!

I don't know how to go around it, because "they" know who has what dog because you have to get a license for every dog. Unless you sneak one in, somehow, and hide it from company and windows…and hopefully it never barks. But if they find out, without an up-to-date shot, they confiscate the dog. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Honored Contributor

Alfie, our new cairn terrier, had the following vaccines and tests by the breeder before we got him two weeks ago (9-11).

VACCINES 8 WEEKS Canine Distemper

VACCINES 10 WEEKS Adenovirus type 2

VACCINES 14 WEEKS Parainfluenza

Parovirus vaccine

Duramune Max 5

8-6-14 – Bile acid test of liver – Normal

8-8-14 – Kidney scan ultrasound – Normal

Heartgard + was started 8/8/14 ~~~~~~~~ Frontline was started 9/10/14

We have had the following vaccines since 9-11-14:

RABIES VACCINE - 9/12/14

Frontline: 9-23-14

Iverhart: 1/2 pill, 9-24-14