Respected Contributor

Walking the Dog in Stormy Weather

My senior Cocker needs to go out quite a bit. I live in an apartment so it's not like I can open the door and let her out.

I get nervous, though, when it thunders. I've heard, "when thunder roars, go indoors" b/c of lightning.

Last week during a storm she had to go out. It was thundering and she took her time finding the right place. She has a tendency to dawdle which is okay with me, but not in inclement weather.

Any suggestions?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Walking the Dog in Stormy Weather

The chances of getting hit by lightening are very slim, even more so when you are in an area with higher structures like an apartment building. If you gotta go you gotta go. I'd be grateful my dog would go during a storm, my chihuahua won't go outside if it's raining or thundering.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Personally, I feel there are some situations that are just not a good match for owning a dog. One would be living somewhere there is no yard. That just feels so unfair to the poor animal who only ever gets to go outside attached to a short leash by their neck.We live in a villa community and we actually do have a very small yard, but not enough to allow a dog to run around and play outdoors.For this reason we have chosen to not own a dog now. When we had dogs (weimaraners) we had a 1/2 acre for them to run and play outside. i think when you own a dog what is needed for them to be able to do what makes them happy should be a part of your plan about where you live.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't worry about the lightening too much, unless it is really flashing.

My dog is afraid of storms, so I have to pay very close attention to the weather forecast, and keep an eye on the sky (I am watching the radar all the time) , because if he even thinks it is going to rain or storm, he doesn't want to go out. I have to be sure to get him out before the event begins. Perhaps you could do something similar, just pay attention and get her out before it starts.

Also, if it is just raining, perhaps you can stay close to the building, or under some trees, where you get less wet (don't go under trees in lightening, though), and remember to not use an umbrella if it is lightening as well.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 happy housewife said:

Personally, I feel there are some situations that are just not a good match for owning a dog. One would be living somewhere there is no yard. That just feels so unfair to the poor animal who only ever gets to go outside attached to a short leash by their neck.We live in a villa community and we actually do have a very small yard, but not enough to allow a dog to run around and play outdoors.For this reason we have chosen to not own a dog now. When we had dogs (weimaraners) we had a 1/2 acre for them to run and play outside. i think when you own a dog what is needed for them to be able to do what makes them happy should be a part of your plan about where you live.

OP, please don't pay attention to this attitude. I'm sure your sweet doggie is so lucky to have you, and more that a space to run unleashed, animals need someone who loves them and spends time with them. Those of us who have lived in both houses with yards and apartments, know that you can keep a pet just fine in either situation. I'm just glad she has a good home with you.

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 happy housewife said:

So your only point in posting was to try and guilt trip the OP for owning a dog while living in an apartment. How lovely. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

happy housewife - you're going on the assumption that my dog isn't taken to walks in the park 3x/week, has play dates at the local doggie day camp at least once a week and doesn't take advantage of the dog park at our complex.

Quite the contrary, since her little feet didn't touch solid ground for 11 years in a puppy mill, she is now living the dream. She is pampered, cared for and is very happy. She is a gentle little thing and has a sweet personality. As I mentioned on this forum once, my vet says she thanks me every day for giving her a forever home. My apt is quite large, but even if it wasn't - it's a whole lot better than the cramped kennel she lived in with her pups. She birthed at last 2 litters/year. They got rid of her because the pups were getting smaller and smaller. Thank goodness for the Cocker Spaniel Rescue Organization for picking her up.

Come fall, we are going to extend our regular neighborhood walks to include the lovely park not far away. She gets lots of exercise and is fed only premium food (after much trial and error). Her coat is shiny, her eye clear (blind in the left eye) and she has the energy of a 2 yr old pup. Extensive lab work was done on her when I adopted her and the vet reported that her vital organs are that of a 2 yr old pup - not that of the 13 year old dog that she is.

So, I would have to differ with you. Mominohio and jaxs mom - thanks for your support. No way anyone can guilt me for giving this precious dog a wonderful life.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Super Contributor

Thank you, pommom, for giving your sweet pup a forever home. It does get frustrating when they have to find the exact right spot to go, doesn't it. Reminds me of my dear Daddy and his little doxie, Bambi. My parents lived in a second floor condo at the end of my Dad's life. Bambi had to be walked a few times a day and Daddy was the one who did it. My Mom wasn't up to it. That little dog kept him going. Whether he felt like it or not, Bambi needed to be walked. Near the end of Daddy's life, I would go and walk Bambi. Everyone in the complex that we met knew my Dad and Bambi. I am so thankful that Daddy and Bambi had each other. When Daddy died, Bambi came to live with me (and my five cats and two dogs). She had a very large yard to play in but would have gladly traded it to be with her person, even if it was in a small condo with no yard. Bless you and your pampered pooch. I wish all dogs and cats could be as loved and well cared for.

Valued Contributor

ponmom, I totally understand your concern. I do what mominohio does and check the radar online to try to get my girl out before a storm hits. Don't mind the rain (well I do to be honest, lol, but oh well!) but I worry about thunder too. I'm not sure, but I always figure I'm wearing rubber soled shoes so maybe I'm grounded?!

And p.s. I know your sweet girl has a wonderful home with you. I've lived in apartments as well as houses and so long as they are loved and taken care of that is all that matters, and I know your girl is!

Valued Contributor

When I first got my rescue dog I had trouble getting her to do her business outside and a trainer told me to reward her. Maybe you could keep a couple small treats in your pocket and then always tell her "Hurry Up" or "Go Potty" or whatever you usually say and then when she does immediately give her a treat. That way maybe when there is threatening weather she'll do her business a little faster. Trust me, I have a dawdler so I know!