Respected Contributor

Ever had a dog you could not house train?

I have four small dogs. Three are good but the poodle/Pekingese is horrible. He is four years old & had since a baby and has never really been trained. I do not work and take him out every 2-3 hours and he still uses the indoors. I have potty patches that he used to use but now he uses them sometimes and the rugs sometimes. I took him out and he peed and pooped and then with in 30 minutes went and peed on a new clean rug I just had put down. I also had a Pomeranian that was impossible to train. He died last year at 12 years old. I did everything from crate training to praise and even tying him to me so he was never out of my site. Nothing worked. He would just look at you and pee. He would even pee in the crate and lie in it. All that did was cause me to have to bathe him everyday. I really believe that there are just dogs that are untrainable. I am so frustrated. I would find this dog a new home where he could be an only dog but my husband would never give him up. Don't say to make my husband clean up after him because I cannot make my husband do anything and he is sick with cancer. Just venting......

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever had a dog you could not house train?

Your dog was probably taught, from the beginning, to use piddle pads. Often, people with small dogs do this. I rescued a small dog who was trained on these pads, and though she goes outside, I will never trust her to roam the house freely without my watching her, because for the first year or so, I would find little "gifties" around. so, this is my advice to you. Keep being consistent with going outside. I find females take longer to "get to it," than males, my male goes instantly, she looks around, etc., so I keep prompting her with a little tug on the leash and saying "potty," until she does something. It isn't always successful, but at least, she does swat the door when she needs to go out, but if I left her to wander around the house, she would most definitely do her business wherever she chose.

Honored Contributor

Is he neutered?

I had a male boxer that was horrible to house train. Once we had him neutered, the problem was solved.

Honored Contributor

Your dog could also be marking. Last Christmas, I bought a new dog bed and when the dogs saw it, it was the female who got in and peed. She marks things like a male. What is really disturbing is that your dog will lie in the pee. Usually, a dog will do it's business as far away from it's bed/living area as possible. Not knowing what your dog went through before you adopted him, but thinking there is a deeper reason behind the "accidents."

Honored Contributor

On 9/10/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Is he neutered?

I had a male boxer that was horrible to house train. Once we had him neutered, the problem was solved.

Great point. Males need to be neutered for better behavior in general.

Also, have you had him to the vet to rule out any physical illnesses or problems?

Honored Contributor

Everyone in my family except me has asthma and COPD, so we cannot have dogs or cats inside the house. We do have 2 German Shepherds outside. One of the dogs came to us at 2 years old after being removed from a home because of training issues. The breeder who sold this dog went to the home to investigate the owners complaints, and wound up convincing the owner to let her have the dog back; feeling this was the only solution for all involved. This dog had lived inside the house with an older woman who was very afraid to live alone. The dog was 15 lbs underweight, had received no vet care, and was so spazzed and neurotic, our vet wanted to put him on medication immediately! When the breeder tried to re-home this dog, she made it clear this dog needed to be kept outside, so she would not consider anyone who lived in town or a subdivision. She also made it clear this dog HATES cats. Neutering, and our very rural setting has been the perfect environment for this dog; he and our other rescued dog took right to each other, and with continued interaction with my family this dog has become a much loved member of this family---without medication. Now that he's been with us for 2 years, he is a different dog, and does not willingly want to be in the garage, or the basement during sub zero temperatures.
Super Contributor

On 9/10/2014 mominohio said:
On 9/10/2014 LipstickDiva said:

Is he neutered?

Great point. Males need to be neutered for better behavior in general.

Also, have you had him to the vet to rule out any physical illnesses or problems?

Imagine the world if that were done!

Honored Contributor

I trained two male English Bulldogs from 6 weeks old both! It takes time and patience, and you have to be consistent, but I did it! Yes, both were neutered at 6 mos., but they were house trained before that!

Respected Contributor

My pek/poodle was adopted as a 5 month old puppy and then immediately neutered. I was not working and took him out every hour all day and some of the night trying to get him trained. The lady who sold him to us said he was already housebroken but not all the way. I did not train him on Pee pads but did put them out when I left the house and also put him in the bathroom. He is good at going outside but if he has to go, he will go inside without a thought.

He is healthy and fed at the same time every day. I have read all I can on training dogs and have kept up with it for the four years I have had him. Same with the Pomeranian I had. I read everything I could get my hands on and did everything I could with patience and consistency but to no avail. My other dogs are not like that. I take them out every 2-3 hours and they hold it until they go out. I really believe that some dogs just don't see a reason to hold it and will pee when they get ready and if they think you don't like it, they will just sneak around and do it and also do it for spite.

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately yes -- he was a very tiny poodle and I think had a small capacity bladder -- I tried to take him out every two hours or so but sometimes I had to leave the house and since the contractor several years before had decided to take down my kitchen doors against my desire, I could not confine him to an easily cleaned up place.

I had him since he was 5 months old and he was never really reliable. I thought it was because he was a boy dog -- when I walked him, he would lift his leg on everything -- he didn't need a tree at his size -- a large leaf would do -- I did realize after taking him out in the snow, that nothing I could see was coming out after about the second time. It was only piddling then however and I did love him very much.

He would never have an accident in the bed -- of course he slept with me -- until he was about 14 1/2 --t hen he got much worse -- he had to sleep on the floor ina cat bed and started to have other problems.

Unfortunately a couple of months before he was 16, I had to send him to puppy heaven -- I still miss the little guy a lot as he was as a younger dog -- but by the end he hardly ever even paid attention to me.