Valued Contributor

I have two seven year old Himalayan cats. They are 100% TOTALLY INDOOR but have had all their vaccinations up to now. They are due for their rabies vac next month and I am seriously considering passing it by. Last year it seemed to make one of them feel bad for days and he eventually lost clumps of fur that has just now come back in. I just don't think it's necessary for them, law or no law. The only thing that COULD happen is if a mouse or a bat were to get inside but that is a very slim chance. They are both very shy and timid so if anyone comes over they are hiding the hole time - no chance that they would ever scratch or bite anyone. Opinions?

Honored Contributor
There was a thread about this topic maybe a month ago in view points. My kitty is 17 and an indoor cat. He hasn't had shots in about 8 years. I don't board him, but I learned from that other thread that it's hard to find a place if the cat isn't vaccinated. He goes to the vet for regular checkups and is in good health. I don't see the need for indoor cats.
Honored Contributor

Well first off the frequency of rabies vaccination is set arbitrarily by local law and not by science based medicine. There is no scientific evidence that the rabies vaccine needs to be given yearly or even every three years. The only cat I vaccinated for rabies was the one stray that we were feeding that was still living outside while I worked on integrating her into our resident cat family.

Pets are highly over vaccinated even today with the somewhat reduced schedule, and there are proven medical side effects like feline kidney disease, from the kidney cells they use in some vaccines and also vaccination associated sarcoma which is so dangerous that it's now recommended to give the rabies vaccine in the leg, because it can be amputated, instead of between the shoulder blades, in case the cat develops sarcoma from vaccination.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I stopped. My kitty is indoors and she used to get all the vaccines but she never felt well afterwards.She used to get the 3 year rabies till I read all the awful side effects. No more shots for my girl. She is now 10.I truly don't see the need for indoor cats to have shots.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Frequent Contributor

I really don't think there's a need to give a indoor cat a rabies shot either and I didn't get my cat another one until this year it's a violation of our lease not to have their shots or spayed or neutered my boy is 10 too.

Trusted Contributor

This is a very sore subject with me. My cats have all been indoor cats and I do not feel they need to be vaccinated. I moved out of state with 2 cats 6 years ago and the new vet at the state I moved to wouldn't see one of my cats that needed to have her teeth cleaned until it was updated on her vaccines. She had trouble with one of the shots and almost died. They said after that it could be given to her through the nose. Last year we noticed a lump on her side and she ended up having surgery twice. The first time was to remove the tumor and the second time was they needed to take a larger area for the kind of cancer she had. They said the tumor was most likely from a vaccine. I'm not sure if I will get any more animals. I just had to put my sweet 18 year old female cat down last week and it broke my heart. Not sure I can go through it again.

Honored Contributor

Oh yes, the lovely blackmail method of getting compliance. They claim it's to protect the other animals at the clinic and yet they will give the vaccine the same day as surgery or teeth cleaning as if it has magical properties and gives instantaneous immunity.

Valued Contributor

I don't have mine vaccinated any more. They are 18, 14 and 13 and are indoor cats.

The 18 year old has never ever had a rabies shot. The 14 year old reacted badly a few years ago so I don't do either of the younger ones now too.

Valued Contributor

Has anyone ever thought of this scenario? You don't have your cats vaccinated and they get sick and have to go see the vet. Even though you never expected it to happen, one bites the technician or the vet. What happens then?

Honored Contributor

I've been bitten by my own cat once. Nothing happened.