Honored Contributor

DOES YOUR CAT PREFER WET FOOD .... DRY FOOD .... OR BOTH?

I got into a conversation the other day with other former and current cat owners and they were comparing what their fur babies would and wouldn't eat. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Some preferred dry crunchies ...... some wanted wet food ..... and we always gave our Tom Cat both , and he alternated between the two dishes .... if only one was put down for him, he'd sit there and look at me until the other dish was put on the floor. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

So ......... what does YOUR fur baby prefer? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Re: DOES YOUR CAT PREFER WET FOOD .... DRY FOOD .... OR BOTH?

Our youngest (Callie) started out eating nothing but canned food. I still have half the bag of dry kitten food that she just wouldn't touch. She'd eat a can and a half of canned food a day. Then one day she just stopped eating the canned food and switched herself over to the adult dry food that we had out for our older cat. She still wouldn't eat the kitten dry food but you couldn't get her to touch the canned food after that. Now, at about two years of age, she eats a little of both but mostly dry food.

Our older cat will only eat dry food, or the 9 Lives real flaked tuna that comes in the cans with a single broad rim on the top. They have the same tuna in one rim and three rim cans and while it looks/smells the same to me, she won't eat any from the three rimmed cans. I have no idea what the difference is, but I now have to feel through the plastic wrapper to see if the top of the can is one rimmed or three rimmed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Jake and Daisy like dry best, but I am hoping to make them eat wet, as Jake is have urinary problems and is suppose to eat wet.
Honored Contributor

Our cats have always wanted and demanded both wet and dry. They graze through out the day on dry, and eat Fancy Feast (one can per cat) every evening.
Honored Contributor

They eat both, and they would like to have more helpings of both! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

I have always served wet food for breakfast and dinner and left a bowl of crunchies out all the time. My boy went through a phase where he didn't keep the crunchies down, so I discontinued them.
Honored Contributor

On 9/1/2014 lolakimono said:

They eat both, and they would like to have more helpings of both! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LOL ! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

All we ever fed our cats was dry, until late last year. At one time we had 4 cats, but were down to two. Last year I noticed one of the surviving sisters had lost a couple of front teeth. I tried moistening the dry, to make it easier for her to eat, but it didn't seem too appealing. I switched them over to wet. Since then we've lost the one who was losing teeth, but the last remaining cat loves the wet food. She's picky though about the form (bits, shreds, filets, pate). She'll eat the shreds, but much prefers the pate and loves the ones that have little pieces of cheese. She's 18 yrs. old now, and deaf. Every morning she's nagging me from the second she sees me, to come and feed her, and she keeps checking to make sure I'm following her to where her food is. She doesn't have a real big appetite though. Most days a single can is all she'll eat, if that. There are times where there is still food left in her dish from the day before, if it happened to be shreds she wasn't fond of. I bought a supply of cat food the other day and got all pate this time, hoping she'll eat it all, she's such a skinny little thing. I have a feeling she's not going to be around a whole lot longer.

Trusted Contributor

We have six cats:

2 18-year olds (they're brother and sister)

1 12-year old

2 4-year olds

1 3-year old

We feed canned food twice a day (breakfast and dinner). (We go through 28 cans of cat food every week, 4 cans every day.) In between, they get dry kibble for their lunch and for their snacks during the day. Our resident male has bottomless paws and a bottomless tail; his foodie clock goes off every two hours when I am at home and he wants a snack every time his clock tells him it's time. So it goes like this: Breakfast, after-breakfast snack, before lunch snack, Lunch, after-lunch snack, before dinner snack, Dinner, after dinner snack, pre-bedtime snack, and bedtime snack. And honestly, I think that if he thought he could get away with it, he'd try to awaken me during the night for another snack, but even he knows better than that.

None of the clan is overweight. Our male is the heaviest at 12 pounds and he will be 19 in February. They are not free-fed, but they are pretty much fed on demand. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 9/3/2014 PamelaSue72 said:

We have six cats:

2 18-year olds (they're brother and sister)

1 12-year old

2 4-year olds

1 3-year old

We feed canned food twice a day (breakfast and dinner). (We go through 28 cans of cat food every week, 4 cans every day.) In between, they get dry kibble for their lunch and for their snacks during the day. Our resident male has bottomless paws and a bottomless tail; his foodie clock goes off every two hours when I am at home and he wants a snack every time his clock tells him it's time. So it goes like this: Breakfast, after-breakfast snack, before lunch snack, Lunch, after-lunch snack, before dinner snack, Dinner, after dinner snack, pre-bedtime snack, and bedtime snack. And honestly, I think that if he thought he could get away with it, he'd try to awaken me during the night for another snack, but even he knows better than that.

None of the clan is overweight. Our male is the heaviest at 12 pounds and he will be 19 in February. They are not free-fed, but they are pretty much fed on demand. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Are these all indoor cats? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}