Honored Contributor

Ok since we know they can tell time how about this one?

As my little girl sets and watches outside, what do you think is going on in their little heads, thoughts, that is. Same with rides in the car. What do you think they're saying to themselves?

Respected Contributor

Re: Ok since we know they can tell time how about this one?

I know our dogs are hoping to go to the bank and get a treat then to D&D to get more treats. They love Saturday morning rides. And the road to get there is a country round with many horses and cows. They love to get a whiff of that also. And yes, they do know when it's Saturday and not a weekday.

Honored Contributor

Dogs don't have a sense of time, but since they are routine oriented, they do know when dinner time is, bedtime, going for rides, walk time, etc.

Super Contributor

After my dog eats, she goes to the TV and starts barking. She knows that I then put on "Animal Planet" episodes of Big Cat Diary" that I have DVRd!!! She recognizes the logo and the song. I do this because her barking and excitement seems to get her 'systems on go' for her walk! She also barks at vacuum commercials (you know how dogs are?!) If she hasn't relieved herself,,,,I always wait to vacuum!! Yes, she runs this home. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

I disagree that animals don't have a sense of time. But I do agree that they do recognize routine and know what is probably coming.

My neighbors tell me all the time that they know that I will be home within about 15 minutes when they see two of my cats jump up into the window and perch there. Doesn't matter the time of day. It could be around lunch time, after school, or hours later when I have to stay very late. They tell me it is amazing. There must be some sense of something.

Esteemed Contributor

My GSD's are always on High Alert for neighborhood intruders. Then they sound their angry bark when they see one!

It's usually bunny rabbits in the yard.

Trusted Contributor

I had a wonderful grey tabby cat named Boo. You loved them all, but some just have an extra special connection, and that was true with Boo. I had a job that required road travel at times, so Boo would go to my sister’s house when I was gone. The amount of time I was gone varied, but my sister said she always knew when I was coming home because Boo would wait by the door. Only I knew what my travel plans may be, but she said Boo was always waiting at the door hours in advance of my arrival. The door I used was the door leading to their garage, so it was in the basement away from all other activity. He never went to the basement except when we were coming or going. She said he just waited by the door, but only on the day I arrived home – no other day.

I saw a show on PBS where they did a study in England – mostly with dogs – where they set up cameras in the home with the pet. The human was told to leave the home and the cameras rolled, observing the animals in the home during the owner’s absence. The human was eventually directed to go home and the cameras showed that many the animals went to the window or the door looking for them at the point they started home. That meant there was some connection and not that the animal heard their car or their voice as they approached. It was fascinating to watch. I think we seriously underestimate the intelligence and abilities of animals, not just pets.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.