Honored Contributor

Can your pets tell time? Survey of opinions

Seriously, I think Anika can tell time. Smile Due to a health issue she must take a pill every 12 hours on a daily basis. I try to give the first one of the day to her around 8 am or 9 am in the morning. If I give it at 8 am, by 8 pm she is barking for her second pill. Likewise, if I give it at 9 am, she waits until 9 pm to bark. I kid you not. It's really funny ... but she does this routinely. Both DH and I think she knows when the 12 hours is up.

Anika is a keeshond. I know they are very intelligent dogs, but telling time. Well, it works; she does get my attention, and she gets her pill.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can your pets tell time? Survey of opinions

Is this a trick question? You bet they can. Schmoo the Cat took pills numerous times a day and he knew particularly when those foul-tasting ones were due! I set an alarm for back-up when the main pills of the morning were due, and he beat the alarm to it by nudging me awake with his paw. Hope your baby's doing well!
Honored Contributor

Animals have very good body clocks IME.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

They have no idea of the concept of time. Why would they? Why do people insist on trying to make pets into little furry humans? What is delightful about them is that are NOT human.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two cats now, and had two previously...sadly those two are not with me anymore. But you bet they have a concept of time. Within 15 minutes of their regular feeding time, they would gather in the kitchen. If I didn't feed them fairly promptly, they would certainly let me know that I was late! And in my opinion, they are about as close to human sometimes as you can get. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

My dog certainly knows when it's time to go for a walk! He becomes very antsy every evening. He's big and sometimes when I ignore him during this time he stands in front of the tv lol. It can be annoying.

Esteemed Contributor

My dogs know when it's time for me to get home......they're lying by the door waiting!

They also know chow time REALLY well and remind me even if it's only a couple of minutes late!

Valued Contributor

My cats always know when it is 7PM regardless of the time of year. Of course we don't change our clocks in the Spring and Fall like most of you do, but it still seems to have nothing to do with the sun or any other natural cues. Somehow they know and they start gathering around me at about 6:50Smile

Honored Contributor

Mine knows our habits.

Honored Contributor

Yes, they do! Even horses and cattle adjust their day to your time and anticipate when you are going to come get them to ride. Some show up at the fence, some hide!!!!! Dogs and cats we've had wake up from their naps before people get home, etc. etc. I think many of them have a better sense of time than people.