Super Contributor
It is so easy for the cats so much easier. Highly recommend if you have one in your area!
Valued Contributor

When I lived in SF Bay Area, I had a mobile vet and it was worth it!!!! Loved just carrying them down to her "office" or she could just come in to the house and use the dining room table. So much less stress on me and the cats. Yes, it cost a little more that my previous vet, but not much and was the same as some vets' with brick and mortar.

Super Contributor
I have had a mobile vet for over 30 years. Wonderful doctor, very caring and extremely knowledgable. He spends far more time with us than a "brick and mortar" vet and the cost is about a third less.
Honored Contributor

My neighbor has mobile groomers come over all the time too. Anyone else do that?

Trusted Contributor

We used a mobile vet for years, when our dog and cat were young. It was very convenient and saved them from a lot of stress. However, our vet's van wasn't equipped for many things. So, if one of the animals became sick, she would tell us to go to the Pet ER, or another vet. This became a little ridiculous.

Also, we were always at the mercy of her schedule. The one time my dog wasn't feeling well, she wasn't scheduled to be in our area until the following week. It was at that point that I found a brick & mortar vet, and never went back to her.

Her service was great for routine things like vaccines and wellness checks. But, when sicknesses came up, she was useless.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Valued Contributor

Since the population is so dense in the SF Bay Area, my mobile vet was able to restrict her service area and she was usually able to fit me in. I managed five feral cat colonies and she even helped me with them I had one cat who would allow me to pet him and a couple of times he got sick. She would drive to his location where I was able to pick him up and get him in a carrier and bring him into the van.

She would anesthetize him and then examine and treat him - she could do blood tests in her van which was very handy. Anyway, she would finish and by the time we had settled the business part of the visit, he would be coming around. I would wait until I was sure he was all the way awake and then I would set him free again.

If I had to put him in a car and drive to a vet and wait in a waiting room, I don't think anybody could've gotten a hand on him to even anesthetize him so I agree - they are great stress reducers.

I will also agree you have to find one you like, just like every service, so if one doesn't work for you, try another if another is available. They are still not common and that is why I go to a brick and mortar vet now.