Respected Contributor

My 16 year old female applehead Siamese kitty has developed kidney failure.

We have recently started subq fluids. She has been losing weight for over a year, and was also diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. She has been on medication for that for about a year.

She has now been pe eing on the bed for a week now. Last night, she laid between my knees (I was on my back) and pe ed all over me and all the bedding.

I have been doing complete bed changes. I got 2 mattress protectors, but she has soiled my featherbed too.

She can jump up and down on the bed. I don't know why she isn't using the litter box. She lives in the master bedroom/bathroom. She has for several years, as our male was always harrassing her. She is happy with it.

I don't like the idea of confining her to the bathroom. Just feeling awful all around.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Honored Contributor

It's a tough spot to be in, hyacinth, and I'm sorry for you. The poor cat probably can't help herself. It sounds like confinement is the only way you'll be able to keep her a little longer while protecting your bedding, carpet, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Speak to your vet about what's happening and see if he/she can tweak her meds. We had a cat with this problem and it's a tightrope balancing the hyperT treatment and kidney failure -- but it can be done.

She also might not be using the litterbox because it's associated with pain she might be feeling when peeing...this is common. She may have a kitty urinary tract infection (VERY common with kidney failure). Treatment with antibiotics can clear it up ASAP.

Respected Contributor

I went through this with my last kitty. I put the kitty bed on my bed and covered it with a large garbage bag and then lined it with pee pads and mattress pads. I got some small dog diapers at the pet store and put them on him. No it wasn't fun but it worked. Mine would go lay in the litter box and not do anything in it. He also got iv's at home.

Good luck!

Mine wanted to stay in the bed for the most part but I always covered part of my bed with bags and such too.

Super Contributor

Have you tried to use piddle pants (kitty diapers) on your cat? Might work fine. Here's a link to one brand that Amazon carries:

http://www.amazon.com/Joybies-Leopard-Piddle-Measuring-Inches/dp/B00DEMW5QI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Respected Contributor

Although I don't see mobility issues at this time, we are going to move the litter box into the bedroom area.

It's not something I want to do, but if it worked, it's better than her using the bed.

Next, is "Cat Attract" litter, which has good reviews.

This may be a mental issue, and there is virtually nothing we could do about that.

Hyacinth {#emotions_dlg.huh}

Valued Contributor

These waterproof (urine proof) blankets are a bit pricey but worth every cent. I can attest to how effective they are in protecting bedding/furniture. I used one initially because my dog was having a stubborn bladder problem and couldn't always control himself. I hated banishing him from the bed. Once I found these blankets I had a happy pet on the bed and I was a happy pet mom.

http://www.mambeblankets.com/petblanket.aspx?gclid=CIzA2K63qsACFWho7AodpUQAvg