Respected Contributor

14 Year Old Bichon and Teeth Problems

Brought him to the vet yesterday, he needed a few shots and grooming. The vet called me and said he should have his teeth removed and they are causing him pain. He put him on an antibiotic but said it would only be a temporary fix. The vet estimated $1131 for the procedure. That's a lot of money. He is 14 and going blind, but otherwise healthy. Is this the average price for this procedure. Shame on me for letting his teeth get to this point. Hubby and I are debating what to do. What would you do.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 14 Year Old Bichon and Teeth Problems

Is this price for all of his teeth, or just a few?

You could call vets in your area for a second opinion or estimate, or take him to a dental vet for an assessment.

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry you're having to make this tough decision. I probably won't have the popular response, and will probably get some bashing, but at that age, he's already survived longer than the usually life expectancy for the breed. Given his age and that he already has a compromised quality of life, I'd do what I could to keep him comfortable with pain meds, but I wouldn't spend that amount of money. If he was a younger dog you could feasibly expect to have around for a lot more years, it would be a different story.

Frequent Contributor

Get a second opinion. A vet said my dog needed dental work that was refuted by others.

Super Contributor

I too would get a second opinion.....The Vet said his teeth are causing him pain....watch him while he's eating to see if there is any discomfort. My little guy is 6 and had his teeth cleaned 2x after this years I vowed never again. I brush his teeth myself and they are looking great. This is JMO.....good luck with your baby.

Respected Contributor

On 8/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I'm sorry you're having to make this tough decision. I probably won't have the popular response, and will probably get some bashing, but at that age, he's already survived longer than the usually life expectancy for the breed. Given his age and that he already has a compromised quality of life, I'd do what I could to keep him comfortable with pain meds, but I wouldn't spend that amount of money. If he was a younger dog you could feasibly expect to have around for a lot more years, it would be a different story.

That's what I was thinking also. He still eats good. It used to be all dry food but lately I have been mixing wet and dry together. He cleans his bowl every time. I probably should call around and get another estimate. I hope no one bashes you.

Regular Contributor

I would get get another price from another vet.

My Bichon [12 yr old] had 3 teeth pulled, cleaned and had an absess drained on his gums for $450. That was the 2nd price I got. The 1st DR. wanted $900. AND these 2 doctors are in the same practice! I was surprised they can do their own thing with charges.

What happened was, when the 2nd Dr. said he needed all this work done, I said I did not want to spend a lot of money. He said "let me see what I could do." I did not tell him which Dr. gave me the high quote tho.

I know other poeple who walked away from this practice because of their high price for doggie dental and found other vets who charge less.

BTW this was last year. This summer when I took him for his yearly check up, I was told he needs a teeth cleaning. NO way. He is good for a few more years IMO. He had 3 cleaning in his life.

Super Contributor

One huge concern in my mind would be that given the advanced age of your dog, he may not survive the anesthesia and/or the trauma of the dental surgery.

The other concern is the price for the surgery. I would tend to agree with what JeanLouise wrote; that given his advanced age and the fact that he is nearing (and/or could be towards the end of) his life expectancy, it might be wiser to consider treating him with pain meds, and/or keeping him comfortable with more of a palliative care plan.

You might be able to wipe his teeth down with dental wipes that will clean some of the bacteria off his teeth. And perhaps changing his diet to a softer canned food might help.

Another thing for you to know is that we cannot always prevent our pets teeth from decay. Dogs (and cats) teeth can decay for several reasons. We can do the best we can for our pets, but we just can't prevent some of these things from happening. So give yourself a break and don't take on grief over the tooth decay issue.

Take comfort in the fact that you are a very caring dog owner for your dog to have lived to this age. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I had my 16 year old Teddy done last December when she was 15. I didn't want to but she had loose teeth and they had to pull three. He did the blood work first and then used a sedative and gas so if there is a problem they can pull the gas off right away. It took 30 minutes while I waited and I think it was under 300.00. I took her home in under an hour.

That is way too much money to spend. Most dentists will run a special twice a year. I way I look at it, if the teeth are bad, then get infected, it's not worth it to do nothing unless you are out of options. I didn't want to at her age but I did not want an infection and all that bacteria building up.

I don't believe in the life span of a pet, no matter what breed it is. I have had all different breeds and sizes of dogs and all 6 lived to be 17, my cat too. When it's Teddy's turn, which may not be another year, I will take all the months I can get and spend the money as long as I have it.

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I agree with you. I'd get a second opinion though also.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval