Regular Contributor

The trainer suggested I take my puppy to daycare to help get rid of some of his energy.

I wasn't sure I wanted to but gave it a try for a half a day and he seemed to like it, however, he came home exhausted and slept through the late afternoon and evening until the next day.

I then took him about 4 days later for a 1/2 day, since he seemed to like it, and it appears he got nipped on his mouth. No one pointed it out to me and no one probably noticed since it's not something really noticeable but I don't like that it happened. I guess it's probably more likely to happen with a number of dogs playing together.

There's a lot of dogs there separated by the various sizes which is great but it appears to only be one person at a time watching them.

Maybe I'm over protective of him but I'd rather have him safe.

Does or did anyone use daycare for your pet?

I posted this on viewpoints but thought this is probably a better place for it.

And I think he may have a uti. He seems to to be drinking more water and going to the potty more and in fact he just went in the house and he's pottery trained and has been for a long time now. Wonder if he could have gotten some kind of bacteria from the day care or maybe a coincidence if in fact he has anything.

Valued Contributor

Hi Charming-

We have only used it where we've boarded in the past. They have an option for day care/play type time during the days your dog is there. Well, our dog used to do fine. But in the past year or so he has shown some aggression toward other dogs. When I say aggression, I don't mean that he's hurt any other dog there, just that they noticed that our guy was being very barky and high-strung around the other dogs. So this one particular place won't allow him to do the joint play option. Which is fine b/c we only need to board him1-2/year. However, I have wondered if there's a dog day care that would work with my dog to get him better with other dogs while in that play situation? I guess my point is that the boarding facilities we've used have always erred on the side of being cautious with ANY dog that comes into their care. I guess my dog showed some hesitance being around others, so they would not allow him to be in the group setting. Sad for my pup, of course, but better (and safer!) for all the other dogs there.

Perhaps your dog had a mark from play? I bet if it is a reputable facility that they are on top of any aggression. But I could be wrong. Hope he feels better!

Regular Contributor

Thanks glmama I think too it's only from play. I do think they're reputable I'm probably over protective! Guess I was just disappointed to see that and I do think they need more people there at the same time to watch all the dogs.

You never know what to expect when putting the dogs together. Maybe a trainer could help your dog with the aggression.

Mine is Mr. Happy and approaches everybody, human and canine!

Super Contributor
Doggie daycare is often a better option. Could you go and observe him at play? Ask if there is only one staff member on duty or better yet ask what the ratio of dog to human is and the number of dogs in a play group and if they are grouped.according to size or age. One of the benefits of doggie daycare is that the animals must be up to date on shots and screened to be compatible with others. Before you dismiss the idea of doggie daycare find out more on the perimeters of the business.
Super Contributor
Mine went to a private doggie daycare where he played with a wire haired pointing Griffin and two other rotties. He is a rottie as well. They got along fine and he would come home and sleep the rest of the day and the next day too. It was a good thing as at home we had two senior rotties and wanted him to get his puppy energies burned off with younger dogs than at home.
Regular Contributor

nagrom - they do group the dogs by size, in fact that can be seen based on the set up. The dogs do have to have a rabies shot and other appropriate shots...they do require proof of this.

The website says they have a webcam and I forgot to ask about it and they didn't mention it. They have 2 locations so I don't know if a cam is at both.

I could ask though about the ratio of dogs to humans as you suggested if I go back.

Speaking of rotties, there was a huge one there and the girl said it was the biggest one they've had there... it was a female. I've never seen one so big! I also saw some big goldens and a st. bernard.At first I was concerned my pup would be with them but there was another room with more areas for his size and another area for even smaller sizes.

Super Contributor

Charming1, don't be intimidated by size. Some of the most docile big guys have friends that are very little. My old rottie had a pug that was so afraid of big dogs or rude dogs that we worked with the owner and the two developed such a great relationship that whenever they were even in the same building the pug would join us. The two really liked each other. My great dane friend had a Chinese crested best friend. I could go on and on. If you are more comfortable trying a different daycare go for it. It is a far better more reliable option than dog park where owners should be in control and up to date on their shots. Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

My older dog went for awhile, it was just not her thing. I just started taking my new puppy last week, he loved it. Just like a child can get hurt playing with other children, dogs can get scrapped up too. My dog tends to play a little rough so did not want them to put him in with small dogs (mine is 32 lbs.). When I picked him up they gave me his report and he had played with a Great Dane. They had a blast.

Doggy Daycare is a great way for them to burn a little energy and play with other dogs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.