Trusted Contributor

How do I get a puppy dog to love me?

Hi everyone. Never posted here because I never had a dog. 2 months ago my sister got a 4 month old cockapoo named Leo and he is part of the family. He is very quiet and seems kinda sad if you ask me. Also, he seems scared of me. I work a lot but I do try to take him for walks. Any advice? Obviously I don't know much about dogs. Thank you.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do I get a puppy dog to love me?

You need to remember that he just left his Mommy so he needs some time to adapt to his new family. Talk to him in a calm, soft voice and give him time. You need to spend a time with him in addition to the walks so he bonds with both of you. Some vet offices give you a puppy care package that have a puppy care book that could give you tips. At the very least they have pamphlets on individual topics that are helpful. The web has ample information, the dog food websites or the AKC.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Be observant of him and don't force anything. If it were me, I'd get down on the floor, on his level, and coax him with a treat. He may be leery at first and proceed with caution, but when he comes to you give him that reward (treat) and pet him with accompanying reassuring sweet talk. If he seems willing, I'd hold him and give him lots of love. As he gets comfortable with that, move toward playing and when he engages, talk to him with a more higher pitched happy tone....and more treats, of course. Hopefully with enough of that love from you, he'll come around to returning it. And, be prepared because when he does your heart will melt.

Treats don't have to be the high calorie, processed kinds. With moderation, you can offer him blueberries, baby carrots, a little piece of cheese.

Don't ever give him:
Grapes/Raisins
Mushrooms
Avocado
Onion/Garlic
Chocolate
Nuts
Tomatoes
(probably other things, but that's all I remember off the top of my head.)

Respected Contributor

He may be going through separation anxiety from his mother. Puppies do that. Sometimes they are taken away too fast. Engage in playing with him and offer some treats on occasion. Rub his belly and scratch is back and belly. They love that. Some dogs are a little skittish. In time I am sure you will become friends. Grab and a blanket and cuddle with him. They love that, at least our pup does. We have a goldengoodle.

Trusted Contributor

If he will let you, try gentle massage and talk to him with a soft voice - tell him what a good boy he is - over and over with the sweet talk. Gentle massage has always worked well for me with new dogs. Stay away from patting them on top of the head as most really don't care for that gesture. Start with his back and repeat the same motion over and over so he knows what will happen. Down the road, once he has the hang of it, you can try other parts of his body. Mine like the back and the neck area best. He will let you know what he likes and doesn't like.

Give it time. He is going through lots of change and adjustment. Soon he will look forward to you coming home and seek you out for your special one-on-one time together.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Poor little pup. He's still just a youngster. Quiet and sad aren't words I usually think of when I hear Puppy. It's good that you noticed he seems "sad" can you see any instances that make him particularly unhappy? Too many people and too much noise? Not enough gentle attention? Quiet safe companionable time is just as important as play. Treats are a good start. Sit on the floor, maybe have a blanket or pillow you use just for that time with him so he has a cue that this is happy cuddle time. Can you be the only one who feeds him his dinner? That would make him look forward to you coming home since you are the bringer of good things. Go to the library and look through at least 3 training books. Dogs vary as much as training techniques do. Training can be fun time. Take the time to get to know each other. Slow and steady.

Honored Contributor

You could also buy him a toy that only you and he play with.

If he is trained, you can leave something with your scent on it for him to have while you're at work. Then he will get used to your smell.

My kitty is not a pick up kitty, but every a.m. and p.m. before the wet food hits the dish we pick her up and give her a cuddle. She tolerates it now and she has come to expect the handling. Otherwise we would never be able to pick her up.

Respected Contributor

How much time do you get to spend with him every day? Is he playing with someone when you aren't around? Puppies are like babies and will need their sleep. Is THAT what you're observing?

Is he playful with other people in the house when you're there? There isn't a lot of information from your post to go on.

Esteemed Contributor

Aw... Patience and tender loving care. and a treat would not hurt.

Valued Contributor

Since you said he seems sad and quiet, any chance that he could be sick? Is his appetite good? Does he have times when he actively plays? Where did he come from - a pet store or a reputable breeder or private person or rescue? I've had several puppies, but they were all happy little things.

I would definitely get online and start looking for solutions, to see if his problem is mental/emotional and not physical tho' he should probably also be examined by your vet to make sure he isn't suffering from something physical. I hope he overcomes whatever is upsetting him. Good luck.

ETA: Just tried googling "cockapoo puppies information" and lots of informative websites came up. You will find lots of good info about cockapoo personalities and training.