Esteemed Contributor

Dog was Attacked by Another Dog

When I was walking my dog today, a couple were walking their two dogs (pit bulls). I have a pit bull. The man dropped the leash on his dog and the dog came running after my dog. They got into a fight and the man had a hard time getting his dog away from my dog. The man was literally sitting on the street trying to control his dog. Luckily, my dog was not hurt but he was frightened. When you can not control your own dog and he is so aggressive, I think it is time that you do not take him out in public. I was scared to death. I have always been leery of this dog because every time my dog walks by the dogs react to one another. The bad part is that he leaves the door to the patio open and the dog comes to the fence around the patio . The dog is very muscular and needs to be disciplined. My dog is 8 1/2 years old and his hind leg is not good.

It just seems that people are so lax in taking care of their pets and making sure they are secure when they walk them. I have the spray called Halt but I am afraid if I spray it that my dog will also be hurt. Maybe, I should just carry a stick.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dog was Attacked by Another Dog

Yes, carry some kind of weapon on you. Also, please report the incident to the police in your town. It's important that a report is filed.

Respected Contributor

That sounded really, really scary. I'm sorry that your dog got attacked. Glad you and your dog weren't hurt. Did this man at least apologize and ask if you and your dog were okay?

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

First I am glad both you and your dog were not hurt. Dog fights can be scary.

Not sure about your comments concerning the dog when he is in his yard mean, however if there is a history of them snarking at each other at a fence it could very well continue while on a walk. Some dogs are more protective, need more space than others or just do not like each other. Reactive dogs need to be in public (properly controlled) to learn how to act.

You should not have to carry a weapon while on a walk, you already have pepper spray. That can be used at a distance to prevent a fight rather then using a stick once it has started. Suggest you avoid this dog when you are on your walk, give them distance. Should he break away from the owner again you have the time needed to use the pepper spray.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

There are so many people now a days that own dogs who should not. It is a shame. Then these very aggressive breeds too. In our campground where we spend the summer there are many pipeline workers who live from campground to campground. It seems they all have large dogs - mostly pit bulls. We had large dogs all our lives - weimaraners so we are not particularly afraid of large dogs but some of these pit bulls here are very aggressive - they chain them to the camper outside when they go to work in the morning and if you walk by or ride by on a golf cart - they are straining at the chains and snarling & growling. I avoid the section of the campground where they camp like the plague. One of these days one of those aggressive dogs is going to get loose and hurt someone badly. Unfortunately, the campground makes a lot of money from these workers so having them here is a fact that is not going to change. Fortunately, they all do stay together in one area. Most of the people are very nice and friendly, but they all seem to feel they need the protection of these very aggressive dogs.

Super Contributor

I have been told that the most effective way to break up a dog fight (if there is no garden hose around) is to ""wheelbarrow"" one or the dogs preferably the aggressor. Grab the dog by its two hind legs and start pulling him backwards. That being said I always carry pepper spray when I walk Grace. I have a small purse size canister attached to her leash. Sorry you and your dog had to experience that.

Honored Contributor

Stop talking about aggressive breeds of dogs. Dogs are aggressive for a reason. They either are untrained or they are chained all the time, have no human contact, etc. and become aggressive.

Many people own pit bulls and they are little cupcakes and the nicest dogs you ever want to see. I agree there are many who shouldn't own dogs.

I know someone who owns a dachshund and the dog detests other dogs. He goes after every other dog and he doesn't care how large or small the breed. You wouldn't call a dachshund an aggressive breed but her dog certainly is.

My boxer was attacked by a yellow lab while I was walking her. This lab is horrible and it's not the first run-in we had with the dog while walking. I'm not sure why people are so lax except that they have no common sense.

My boxer has also been attacked by a yorkie. That little dog got underneath my dog and just started biting him on his belly and under his legs. You just never know with any dog.

Honored Contributor

Why would anyone drop their leash when their dog is approaching another dog? I'd call animal control.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

That sounded really, really scary. I'm sorry that your dog got attacked. Glad you and your dog weren't hurt. Did this man at least apologize and ask if you and your dog were okay?

That must have been scary! Wow so glad your dog is ok!

Honored Contributor

On 8/14/2014 NeNe1010 said:

I have been told that the most effective way to break up a dog fight (if there is no garden hose around) is to "wheelbarrow" one or the dogs preferably the aggressor. Grab the dog by its two hind legs and start pulling him backwards. That being said I always carry pepper spray when I walk Grace. I have a small purse size canister attached to her leash. Sorry you and your dog had to experience that.

Oh yes, that's a great way to get bit, just pull a dog by the hind legs and they can flip around and bite you.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval