Valued Contributor

I was wondering...is there any way that you can tell if someone re-homing a dog on Craigslist is legitimate or not? I see all these dogs on there but then I hear all the bad things that happen too. So just wondered if there was something that wd kind of give them away that it was a scam or not?

Respected Contributor
I saw on the news, that people take dogs that others are giving away and then sell them. So the dogs owner thinks they are giving it away to a good home and those people sell it. So awful what happens to animals.
Valued Contributor
On 8/13/2014 conlt said: I saw on the news, that people take dogs that others are giving away and then sell them. So the dogs owner thinks they are giving it away to a good home and those people sell it. So awful what happens to animals.
How sad! I have been looking for a friend for our little NiKi have been looking at local Shelters but a friend told me of a little girl dog she saw on there. I guess I have heard so many bad things abt CL that it just scares me about getting anything on there!
Respected Contributor

There are so many dogs being stolen where I live it's crazy. Some people are keeping them, some do try to sell them on Craig's list or in front of pet stores.

I guess all you can do is take the dog to the vet and check to see if it has a microchip. It's amazing to me how many people don't get their pets chipped.

Honored Contributor

Why don't you use Petfinder instead? It's way more reputable, and a lot less dangerous.

Honored Contributor
On 8/13/2014 henny said:
On 8/13/2014 conlt said: I saw on the news, that people take dogs that others are giving away and then sell them. So the dogs owner thinks they are giving it away to a good home and those people sell it. So awful what happens to animals.
How sad! I have been looking for a friend for our little NiKi have been looking at local Shelters but a friend told me of a little girl dog she saw on there. I guess I have heard so many bad things abt CL that it just scares me about getting anything on there!

Something similar was just exposed here in my neck of the woods via the community FB page. I don't know if the authorities are involved at this point or the status, if they are. If they aren't, they surely should be!

There's a couple who goes to various garage sales and talk the homeowners out of stuff, feigning poverty and hardship so they'll get it for free. They then turn around and sell the merchandise. I don't know if they really need the money or if they're buying drugs. The same couple finds dogs via local ads, FB, or CL, when they're the "free to a good home" type ads. Sometimes they might be re-sold, but the ugly side is that these dogs have been obtained for use in training other fighting dogs. It's all so awful.

Henny, if you're giving dogs away, I don't know how you can control what happens on the other end short of doing background checks on the people and it's doubtful anyone would want to pay that expense for a free dog. KWIM? The only time it becomes evident is when it's happening with the same people over and over and an investigation ensues, as I hope it will with the people I already mentioned.

As for obtaining a dog, I believe it's best to go with a private breeder, breed rescue operation, local humane society adoption, or Petfinders where they have screening abilities available.

Honored Contributor
On 8/13/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

There are so many dogs being stolen where I live it's crazy. Some people are keeping them, some do try to sell them on Craig's list or in front of pet stores.

I guess all you can do is take the dog to the vet and check to see if it has a microchip. It's amazing to me how many people don't get their pets chipped.

A microchip is only as good as the person who finds a wandering dog and wants to do the right thing to try and get him/her back to the rightful owner.

Honored Contributor

BTW, giving dogs away can damm them to a life of painful experimentation in laboratories.

Thieves know that labs will pay for good specimens, and often make up an excuse as to why they want to 'adopt' them.

Also - and beyond the obvious health dangers - never leave your dog in the outside part of your truck, as they can easily be stolen then sold to labs.

And especially if they're a purebreed or puppy, to be re-sold for money or given to someone (including themselves) as a gift.

Honored Contributor

I've read that Overstock is running a pet finder website. I hope it has more safeguards than Craigslist.

Honored Contributor

It's technically against the rules to sell animals on craigslist.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval