Super Contributor

Got a new puppy now the three year old dog growls at him

I got my older dog when she was a year and a half. She was not very active, vet say she is fine. I felt she was lonely so got a 6 month old puppy.i pay a lot of atention to the older dog so/she would not be jealous but she is very possessive of her toys and chew bones. When the puppy comes near she growls at him..now she is growling at people on our walks I don't know how to correct this situation. Both dogs are from the shelter
Honored Contributor

Re: Got a new puppy now the three year old dog growls at him

How did you introduce them when you brought the puppy home?

Super Contributor

Had a member of the family, bring the older dog to meet us at the park
Esteemed Contributor

How long have you had your new puppy? Enough time for them to get to know each other?

Give it some adjustment time. I'd only be concerned with signs of aggression, being too protective of food, etc.

Make sure they have their own separate toys, food dishes, water, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Bringing in a new dog often is a process rather than an event. You said your dog was not very active, well bringing in a hyper puppy can be very stressful. I recently got a new puppy and am taking it very slow with my 7 year old dog. It takes time, these are a few tips;

Keep food, toys, chews etc. picked up. Do not give them anything to snark at each other over. At some point when they start playing together you may be able to introduce them back.

Always make sure your older dog can get away from the puppy. Puppies can be very annoying and try the patience of a saint. Allow your dogs to have their own spots. You can use x-pens, baby gates or crates. In time these may not be necessary, but for now they each need a safe place away from each other.

Take lots of walks together. My dogs are more comfortable outside and spending time with me doing things together outside has really helped them get use to each other. Kind of like finally realizing he is not going anywhere and accept him.

Enjoy your new puppy and give your older one some time to get use to him.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Thanks for the advice
Honored Contributor

I have done this with my kitties- not sure about how it works with dogs.

I take a damp towel and wipe down one of them, and then wipe it over the other one. It lets them smell the other animal so they are less likely to attack when they remember the scent.

Super Contributor

lolakimono - that sounds like a good idea. I've never tried that while introducing new dogs. Might work.

Another suggestion - never feed them close to each other. I always keep them on opposite sides of the kitchen at feeding time. Sometimes that could be a problem. And never gave them bones together, that errupted into a big fight one time.

Super Contributor

Sounds like your older dog is doing a somewhat normal "resource guarding" behavior. This is kind of like the human emotion of jealousy, but in dog language it is more like protecting his own resources, which can also include the resource of attention -- from you.

I'm not a professional dog trainer but I've trained dogs and have some tips that might help you get the older dog out of this behavior.

If you have a large crate available, I would isolate the older dog for a couple of minutes every time he growls at the puppy. Don't scold him or raise your voice at him, just tell him a monotone, "No - no" in a normal pitch of voice. Then walk him over to the crate and put him in it for about one or two minutes. Or, if he goes outside, put him outside for a couple of minutes. This is a purposeful negative consequence that he will not like but is not punishment per se as you are using the crate (or outside) for a time out. This is not abusive in any manner either. Older dog will eventually get the message that when he growls at puppy, he is either in the crate or outside, alone. You want him to associate the negative behavior of growling at puppy with a negative consequence (being alone). Remember to only separate older dog for a couple of minutes. But be consistent and do it every time he growls at puppy. If you are tired of separating older dog, put puppy in a bedroom so you and older dog can have a break. Smiley Happy

You should also give puppy his own toys and chew toys to play with and do not require the older dog to share his toys. Make sure there are plenty of toys for the puppy to play with. For the time being (temporarily) put the older dogs toys in a place (a basket or bin) where puppy cannot disturb them. Later on, when older dog is more accustomed to the puppy (and no longer feels that the need to guard his toys) you can leave the older dogs toys out for puppy to play with as well.

Buy some tasty treats that both dogs can eat. Or give them some homemade treats like cheese. Feed both of them the treat while they are together. Sweet talk to both of the dogs, praising them while they are eating the treats together and being polite to one another.

When you walk with them on leash, take treats with you, have them sit/stay and feed them both a treat. Praise both of the dogs and resume your walk with them.

The idea is to reinforce the friendly behavior while they are together. When they are together and you are giving treats, praise & affection to both of them, older dog while begin to understand that when he is in the presence of the puppy, it is a happy time.

Of course, if the behavior continues, consult with a professional dog trainer. You may need to take your older dog to a Positive Reinforcement training class. There are also books and videos available online that teach Positive Reinforcement training.

You didn't indicate how long you've had the puppy -- know that introducing a new pet to the household does take time and patience. I think that if you give it time and work with these two, they will become friends. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 8/12/2014 NChgOfMyAttitude said:

lolakimono - that sounds like a good idea. I've never tried that while introducing new dogs. Might work.

I also do this when one goes to the vet and the other stays home. Then they're both "stinky" and there is less fighting, growling, hissing when they both smell it.