Respected Contributor

My dog has a wart on the side of his nose and is getting bigger. We brought him to the Vet this morning and he said just leave it alone if it doesn't bother him but it just looks awful. Has anyone's dog ever have warts and you got rid of them? There must be something you can buy to help get rid of i t. TIA

Respected Contributor

There are a few things you could do. The doctor can remove it. My dog has a wart on her thigh and they can be itchy but I decided to let it alone. I keep an eye on it. I'm surprised your doctor didn't make any suggestions. Mine told me he could take it off. It might be expensive.

I was reading up on castor oil and I have some but haven't tried it.

Esteemed Contributor

Change vets first of all. A vet can take a wart off it has been done for my dogs though the years.

Respected Contributor

Without a biopsy there is no way to know that it's a "wart", I am not even sure dogs get warts, since they are caused by a virus! I'll give you an example of why your vet should at least do a needle aspirate biopsy:

Many years ago I was fostering a middle-aged neutered male Scottie, a cat-hating dog who needed careful placement, so he was in long-term fosterage. One day when I was trimming his toenails I noticed what looked like a wart on the skin of his sheath. It had not been there the week before, so I took him to the vet. The vet felt it was a benign growth, but I insisted it be biopsied, it had grown so fast. Histopathology came back showing it to be a mast cell tumor, the MOST DANGEROUS skin cancer a dog can have. We had it removed with aggressive skin removal to get clean margins, and did low-level chemotherapy for three months (prednisone, since mast cells are inflammatory). The vet said that, if the growth did not recur on the same site within three months after the prednisone stopped, odds are the cancer was gone for good, and that proved true. I eventually found the dog a home in a family where two members were allergic to cats, so the dog would have no feline interactions (he killed one of my own cats in the year I fostered him) and he lived another 3+ years, crossing the Bridge at 11+ years of an unrelated cancer, lymphoma.

I would strongly suggest that you insist your vet do a needle aspirate biopsy to confirm that the growth on your dog's muzzle is benign, the peace of mind is well worth the cost, I am sure.

Respected Contributor

I am not even sure it is a wart like the vet said as it is growing out and only attached to one area to his face the rest of it lifts up from his face. I read about vitamin E and have been putting that on but he rubs it off with is paw I guess he doesn't like the feel of it but the wart itself doesn't seem to bother him. I think I will be seeking another vet as this vet that I have been seeing for years is older now and all he seem to do is talk about himself! Like he just spend $9,000 dollars for hearing aids and his trips etc.

Honored Contributor
It's very common for older dogs to get warts. Virtually every dog I ever owned got one or two as they aged. Yes, vets usually recommend leaving them alone unless they grow very large. They're usually not in such a prominent place as the nose. I'm sure your vet would remove it if you're willing to pay for surgery.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor
On 8/10/2014 CamilleP said:

Without a biopsy there is no way to know that it's a "wart", I am not even sure dogs get warts, since they are caused by a virus! I'll give you an example of why your vet should at least do a needle aspirate biopsy:

Many years ago I was fostering a middle-aged neutered male Scottie, a cat-hating dog who needed careful placement, so he was in long-term fosterage. One day when I was trimming his toenails I noticed what looked like a wart on the skin of his sheath. It had not been there the week before, so I took him to the vet. The vet felt it was a benign growth, but I insisted it be biopsied, it had grown so fast. Histopathology came back showing it to be a mast cell tumor, the MOST DANGEROUS skin cancer a dog can have. We had it removed with aggressive skin removal to get clean margins, and did low-level chemotherapy for three months (prednisone, since mast cells are inflammatory). The vet said that, if the growth did not recur on the same site within three months after the prednisone stopped, odds are the cancer was gone for good, and that proved true. I eventually found the dog a home in a family where two members were allergic to cats, so the dog would have no feline interactions (he killed one of my own cats in the year I fostered him) and he lived another 3+ years, crossing the Bridge at 11+ years of an unrelated cancer, lymphoma.

I would strongly suggest that you insist your vet do a needle aspirate biopsy to confirm that the growth on your dog's muzzle is benign, the peace of mind is well worth the cost, I am sure.

AGREE 100%!! If it's benign or truly just a wart, then you can decide on what to do, but I would NOT risk someone simply eye-balling it and guessing or assuming what it is. No way.

Esteemed Contributor

Certain breeds of dogs get warts. Warts do not get bigger .. I would change vets ASAP!