Frequent Contributor

I have three cats, male 10 years old, female 2 years old, female 1 year old. They all have a terrible flea problem and have been scratching like crazy. I've tried sprays, tubes, etc., but they don't work real well and the 2 year old said "no way!". Can't get anywhere near her with any of it.

Today I bought Capstar pills, cut up two of them, and mixed them with the wet food that they all love. They wouldn't eat it. Tried getting the little one to eat some tuna with half a pill in it - no way, won't touch it.

What should I do? I hate that they're all being tormented by these stupid bugs, and I know it can affect their health.

There is absolutely no way I can get a pill down any throat.

Help, please!

Honored Contributor

If your cats have fleas, your house has fleas. You've got a job ahead of you, but unattended it's only going to get worse. The cats probably need a flea bath first. Even though you've already invested in the Caspar, you might consider a topical. There's an "Advantage Multi" for cats. It might be a better option for you.

Advantage Multi

Next, you have to deal with the house infestation. Vacuum all over, wherever the cats go and empty the canister outside. Sprinkle Borax on the carpet (never on the pet) and let it sit there for several hours or overnight. This will require you to keep the cats away for that period of time. Vacuum up the Borax and hopefully the problem will be resolved.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

When I lived in flea country,the best thing I found was a powder called "Flea Busters". Back then, you couldn't buy the powder, you hired the company to come to your house and apply it. Now Amazon.com has it available that you can apply yourself for a lot less $$$. It's not poisonous, not an insecticide but is a desiccant. It dries up the fleas and their eggs and shortly they disappear.

I don't have fleas here in the Albuquerque area for the same reason, it's so dry they cannot subsist. Try Flea Busters; it's cheaper than moving.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Why are you cutting the Capstar? Is each kitty getting a full dose?

You need to learn to "pill" your cats. Probably a youtube video for that. If it's impossible, maybe ask at the vet for help. Or get help from someone to wrap up the cat while you push the pill down the side of the throat. If this doesn't work, you might have to try a topical product.

Fleas not only threaten your cats' comfort and health, but yours as well. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Empty the bag or sit it outside or the fleas will hop out. Or vacuum some appropriate powder to kill the fleas, but be careful of anything too toxic to you and kitties.

Honored Contributor
On 8/6/2014 happygal said:

Why are you cutting the Capstar? Is each kitty getting a full dose?

You need to learn to "pill" your cats. Probably a youtube video for that. If it's impossible, maybe ask at the vet for help. Or get help from someone to wrap up the cat while you push the pill down the side of the throat. If this doesn't work, you might have to try a topical product.

Fleas not only threaten your cats' comfort and health, but yours as well. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Empty the bag or sit it outside or the fleas will hop out. Or vacuum some appropriate powder to kill the fleas, but be careful of anything too toxic to you and kitties.

I actually detailed this in my original post, but had second thoughts and deleted it. I thought I might get flamed for it but really, if a cat won't take medicine willingly, you do what you have to.

I also think the OP might have cut the pills to hide them easier, not to give an incomplete dose.

Honored Contributor

You can also try Brewer's Yeast as a natural preventative. In my experience, any cat I have ever had has just eaten it. They seem to like the scent. I have dropped it in a dish with other dry food and it disappears. If you try it, you'll want to set it in front of the cat like a treat to make sure you know which cat has eaten it for the day so that you don't over medicate.

Super Contributor
Comfortis....monthly pill! Works wonders! Good luck
Super Contributor

Find out from vet how to get the capstar down their throats, theres a trick. Make sure you are using the full dose. That will get rid of all the fleas on them within 24 hours. Then apply the flea and tick medicine immediately. Call the exterminator immediately and VACUUM until your arms are falling off. Walk all over the house with white sox on to see where the fleas are the most. They will be all over the sox.

I had a flea problem a year or 2 ago. It was a NIGHTMARE. Cost a fortune between vet and exterminator bills. Fleas reproduce in an unbelievable amount. So if there are a few fleas around they can produce 100 new fleas in a day, then they can all do the same the next day.

Happy gal is right, we vacuumed the basement and the entire house twice a day until we saw some results. Don't take this lightly, you can have an infestation in no time. It took months before we were sure we had no more.

Respected Contributor
On 8/6/2014 kachina624 said:

When I lived in flea country,the best thing I found was a powder called "Flea Busters". Back then, you couldn't buy the powder, you hired the company to come to your house and apply it. Now Amazon.com has it available that you can apply yourself for a lot less $$$. It's not poisonous, not an insecticide but is a desiccant. It dries up the fleas and their eggs and shortly they disappear.

I don't have fleas here in the Albuquerque area for the same reason, it's so dry they cannot subsist. Try Flea Busters; it's cheaper than moving.

This works REALLY WELL!!

I had to use it a few years ago, & the problem went away. It's a great non-toxic way to treat your home. Do this + get a NATURAL flea remedy for your cats (check "Only Natural Pets" online for some ideas.

Those topical meds are extremely toxic.

Honored Contributor
Many years ago we got a flea infestation from a cat my daughter brought indoors. The vet told me to sprinkle simple table salt liberally on my carpet, let it sit for 2 days, vacuum, and burn the bag outside, then sprinkle more salt and repeat the process until you see no more fleas. I used 10 lbs of salt, but eradicated the fleas within 10 days. Salt, or the borax as previously suggested, pulls moisture out of the carpet, and the flea eggs cannot hatch without moisture.