Respected Contributor

My Sheltie is 12 years old. I've been going to the same vet office all this time. The Vet that I usually saw married and moved away. I'm back to the original vet I used to see who is also the owner of the place. Brandy is now having renal issues. Her Bun and Creat. is elevated and her latest blood work showed a barely there thyroid level. So she's on enalpril and soloxine since July 31. Started a renal dog food from vets office. When I picked up the food, her vet walked by. Hardly said hello and didn't even ask about Brandy. Ok, not a big deal. Well, today Brandy is just not eating her renal dog food. I have two different kinds and she wants nothing to do with it. She did eat one kind one day and the other another day but that's it. I call the vet, receptionist said she'd have him call me. The receptionist calls me back and said the vet said he thinks she's in renal failure, bring her in tomorrow. I was trying to tell them that she is hungry and just doesn't like the food, could I try something else? The vet didn't even come to the phone, told receptionist to tell me to feed renal dog food. I would of liked the opportunity to explore other food, such as making my own food at home following renal food guidelines but I didn't even get that far. I did end up following a renal dog food recipe on line and she ate it. Should I just go to a different vet? There's a vet closer to my house in which I know the vet, her son goes to school with my daughter. She's very nice. Any advice or suggestions...anything, is welcomed. I just want to take the best possible care of my dog.

Super Contributor

Yes, go to a different vet.

This is the time when you needed the help of your vet the most and she blew you off.

Try the vet closer to your house.

I pray that your little Sheltie gets the care that she needs and that her health improves.

Smiley Happy

Contributor
That's awful! Please try the new vet ASAP. She (or you) can request all Brandy's records be sent to the new clinic. I went through a similar situation with a very good vet that I was spending anywhere from 500-1000 per month with various special needs rescues. She could never come through with treatment in a pinch, just rude and dismissive even though I was an excellent client who never complained about bills or horrendous waiting room times, etc. After I switched to 2 different vets (I need a mobile) she actually sent someone to my place of work to inquire why I was no longer a client Smiley Sad. Best wishes for you and your Brandy.
Respected Contributor

Yes, get a new vet.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

I love my vet. He will always call me back and I don't have to leave a reason. He makes house calls, gave me his cell phone number and did dental surgery for Teddy on his lunch hour. I can't ask for more than that. He always asks how I am. He is nice and very kind.

I have another vet that makes house calls for when I lose a pet. She will come almost anytime and is very caring. I have used her three times. I will never do the drive again, it's too painful.

I keep a backup vet that is closer for those times like nail clipping and small things. I like him okay but not enough to change to full time.

I had a vet I used for 25 years and he died suddenly and I use to work for him. He was an excellent surgeon. Mr. Personality he wasn't but he knew his business.

I had one vet that cussed at my dog, lost his temper and I was out of there so fast.

Esteemed Contributor

I have changed vets because I thought they were only in it for the money. They were very expensive and did tests just to do them. When my dog was having problems with flea allergy, they kept telling me to give him Benadryl. I did not think that was the solution and when I said that I should be able to see the vet without being charged for an office visit because what they did was not helping---all I got was the run around. I immediately switched to another vet and she is very good with my dog. I think you should change because apparently he has no interest in you or your dog. I think there are good vets and bad vets---just like doctors. I would let them know why you have decided to change. You can always write a review on Yelp. I think this speaks a lot to future business. The only thing that hurts these vets is in the pocket. Good luck with your dog. I know you only want to do the best.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, get a new vet. If you feel about your pets the way I do about mine, they are like my children. You need to have complete trust in your vet, and know that he/she will be there when they're needed. (I don't know if yours is available on weekends -- in my area we have to use a veterinary emergency hospital after hours and on weekends except for Sat. mornings.)

I had a little poodle years ago that had kidney disease, and I made all of her food for the last two years of her life because she wouldn't eat the prescription food. I don't remember the exact recipe, I just know it had cooked hamburger, cooked rice, boiled eggs, and bread. It was all she ate for two years and it may have been improved since that was a number of years ago. Your vet should have a recipe, or you may be able to find it online.

Good luck with your baby.

Super Contributor

no, do not get a different vet. They are doctors and when the vet tells you to bring the dog in, you should do it. They do not "treat" patients over the phone. My vet will call me back AFTER I've had a visit and tell me about any follow up from labwork or a procedure but never gives me advice over the phone. Either you trust your vet or you don't. If you think that your answer (he's hungry) is better than the vet's answer that he might be in renal failure, then you are overseeing your own animal's care and have no regard for your vet's advice.

Could it be that the underlying issue is that your original vet did not greet you properly?

Since you asked the question, that is my honest opinion. I am sure you want the best for your pet. We all love and care for our animals but I don't think it is wise to switch vets especially with an older pet just because you wanted to vet to come to the phone and discuss food issues. It is in the pet's best interest to take him to see the professional and then ask your questions. Wouldn't you fell horrible if the pet was in renal failure and you had to rush him to an emergency animal hospital in the middle of the night? Please rethink this and do what is right for the pet, not you. Everyone can tell you their story about vet experiences, but this is your baby and seeing a vet is the best way to care for him. Changing vets does not insure that the new vet will talk to you over the phone about feeding issues either. You won't know that until/unless it comes up and then if he doesn't, you've switched for no reason.

Esteemed Contributor

Change vets... ASAP! I hope your Sheltie feels better.

Honored Contributor

I strongly suggest that you take your precious dog to another vet ASAP...like TODAY!

Call up whatever friends that you have who also have pets and ask them who they go to. I'm sure that one of their vets will see you today based on the fact that it's an emergency and that your friend recommended them to you.

Please give us an update when you can.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=