Super Contributor

About a month ago, my dad and his wife recently adopted two brother cats - a few years old, not sure of exact age.

Just in the past week, one of the brothers has started peeing whenever his brother gets attention. It appears it's a jealousy thing.

He pees, then acts like he's covering it up.

I told her to call the spca where she got them, and also her vet and ask about this behavior. In the meantime, I thought I'd check w/ my friends here on this bb.

Have you ever heard of or experienced this? Any advice?

TIA!

Honored Contributor

It might seem like a timing thing, but it might be a good idea to see if he has a bladder infection. At least if that can be ruled out, they can address it with a behavior modification of some sort. Maybe the boys need to be separated or maybe your parents need to show attention to the pee-er first until he gets over it?

Super Contributor

Thanks!

They'd taken him to the vet for a physical and he doesnt seem to have a bladder infection. The other advice makes sense. Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes cats, especially males, want to "mark their territory", and that's how they do it. There is a lot of information online about this, you can google it. But in the meantime, you might want to try "Feliway" spray, which is a pheromone spray that helps to calm the cat and sometimes can stop the marking. They also have one you plug into the wall and it works all the time....completely safe for people.

Respected Contributor

He's claiming his territory.

Honored Contributor

I have a lady whizzer, and I bought the Cat Attract litter. It's pricey but has cut down on the number of episodes.

Super Contributor

Thank you! I'll share all of your info!

Esteemed Contributor

Are the cats neutered? Some times that helps minimize this behavior.

Super Contributor

Just a hunch, but I don't think his behavior is due to jealousy. I think the kitty has some other problem and you will have to investigate (think like a cat) to find out what it is. Here are some things to consider:

Newly adopted kitties can be fearful of their new surroundings. New smells can confuse them too. Keeping the kitties isolated in a separate bedroom until you are able to pinpoint what the problem is will help keep the problem contained.

Keep all books, magazines, papers, dirty & clean laundry, rugs, shoes, socks, (anything that has a scent) away from the two cats as those things can cause them to have scent confusion which in turn may cause them to piddle on or near these objects.

He could have a Urinary Tract Infection or a problem with crystals in his bladder. Both problems can cause cats to piddle inappropriately. A vet check is probably in order. Many times feline cystitis is overlooked at the vet as it is sometimes hard to diagnose.

UTI's are treated with antibiotics. Sometimes a cat will continue to make mistakes after being treated so CAT ATTRACT litter may be needed.

Feline cystitis is treated with a special low ash diet and with adding more water to the cats diet via adding water to canned cat food and by adding a pet fountain. Takes a week or so to see improvement. Again, sometimes cats will make mistakes after being treated and CAT ATTRACT litter may be needed.

Do you have two (2) litter boxes? You need to have at least two litter boxes. Actually three (3) boxes is what is recommended for two cats. Leave the tops off of the box so kitty can see what's going on around him. He may be afraid that he is going to be ambushed while doing his business.

Make sure the kitty has a litter box close by where he hangs out. Depending on his age or due to the procedure that neutered him, he could have some issues with being able to hold it long enough to get to the box. For instance, many people keep litter boxes in the basement when the cats are in the house. This arrangement is fine until a cat starts making mistakes because of urgency issues or is having issues with arthritis and can't get to the box fast enough.

Also, make sure the litter boxes are not located in a high traffic area. Cats like to have privacy too.

Is the kitty piddling on a rug? If it's a scatter rug with a rubber backing, that will cause cats to piddle on it as the rubber backing is cured with AMMONIA which is what cats are attracted to piddle on/in. Remove scatter rugs.

As another poster stated, buy some CAT ATTRACT litter and try that in the litter boxes. CAT ATTRACT litter is awesome for helping cats use their litter boxes faithfully.

Make sure there is no dirty or clean laundry near the litter boxes. Cats get confused with the scents of dirty and clean laundry. They can also get confused with scented litters.

Just a reminder: Never scold a kitty for making a mistake. Just gently remove the kitty and place him in his litter box. Scolding will cause the cat more confusion and more mistakes will be made. Clean the piddle with soap and water and spray area with a enzyme cleaner like Nature's Magic Citrus Blast or spray a tea towel with "Keep Off" (by Four Paws) and place the towel over the cleaned area to discourage kitty from going back there.

If this were my kitty, I'd take him to the vet to rule out UTI or feline cystitis. I'd add some water to canned cat food (or if dry cat food is given, I'd add canned cat food to the diet.) I'd buy a (ceramic) pet fountain for extra hydration. I'd get the CAT ATTRACT litter and make sure I had at least two litter boxes. I'd place one of the litter boxes right near the spot where he piddled (temporarily). Then after the cat was piddling in the box faithfully, I'd move the litter box a couple of feet per day back to where I wanted the litter box to be permanently. Remember to leave the tops off of the litter box.

Buy some good treats. When kitty piddles in the litter box, sweet talk him with praise and feed him a treat. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Wow! Thank you so much for all the information!