Valued Contributor

Help finding a new dog food.

Hi Everyone,

My 4 year old pup needs a new dog food. He's been eating Natural Balance for a few years now. However, it is becoming harder to find and I'd like to find something in the grocery store OR at PetSmart that is more readily available, perhaps a *tiny* bit less expensive, AND, perhaps, the same kinda quality of a Natural Balance. Real food, not loads of fillers, no dyes, and something that would be okay for a dog that has a history of skin allergies??

I realize that is a very tall order. But is there anything out there that you really like? I also realize that sometimes it is hard transitioning a dog to another food, but I'm willing to do so if I can find the right brand.

TIA for any any and all recommendations.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

Re: Help finding a new dog food.

My dog eats Rachael Ray's dry dogfood.

Made in the USA!

Valued Contributor

Terrier-Thanks for the reply & suggestion.Smiley Happy I will put it on my list to check out.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

We've had a really good experience with Nature's Domain. It's only sold at Costco, but is a grain free dry dog food. I've read that it's the same thing as Taste of the Wild, just relabeled/privately labeled for Costco. It's nutrient dense. My big dog (85# Golden Retreiver) gets 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the afternoon. His eliminations are firm and compact. A large bag (35#, I think), runs right around $30 or so.

Valued Contributor

Hi JLF - Thanks so much.Smiley Happy I'm Not currently a Costco member, but a family member is & I could check it out.Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Halo is supposed to be very good.

Valued Contributor

THanks, mousie. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There are several web sites (dogfoodadvisors.com is one I like) that rate foods based on the quality of the ingredients. Food allergies are usually corn or wheat so you should be able to try foods that do not contain them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

CrazyDaisy-I have never heard of that site--I will go check it out. Thanks for recommending it!

Respected Contributor

Check out dogfoodanalysis dot com

doxie