Respected Contributor

The light of my life, my American Cocker Spaniel, is full of vim & vigor. She's 14 years old and the picture of health.

I have been thinking, though, after it's time for her to go to the Rainbow Bridge, of adopting a chihuahua. At least, that's how I feel now. It could be a long, long time before - or if - that time comes.

My concern is this: I've heard, seen Dogs 101 and read that chi's are high strung and are big yappers. The barking doesn't concern me, but I prefer a calm companion. I would like to have a smaller dog. My baby girl is small for a Spaniel, but I can't carry her in my arms.

Chihuahua parents - what say you?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

What's Dogs 101 .... a movie?

Respected Contributor

It's a series on the Animal Planet. It's an hour long and different breeds are presented. They end each dog presentation with how well it will do in a home/apt, child-friendly or not, temperament, potential health issues and grooming needs. I have yet to see a chihuahua presented, but could have missed an episode or two. It comes on Saturday mornings. I thoroughly enjoy learning about dogs. Fun to watch.

Honored Contributor

We had a cocker and it was mean as a snake. Bad tempered dog. We got rid of it. Not a good pet for a child at all.

Respected Contributor

Sharke - I have read that some cockers are ill tempered and certainly not good with children.

I AM SO BLESSED my fur baby is soooo the opposite. She's calm, gentle, on the timid side, affectionate and loyal. She does have separation anxiety and my vet says that is typical of cockers.

Having been in a puppy mill for 11 years must have made her submissive. I truly believe she isn't aware of choices such as being stubborn or refusing to cooperate. She is the most obedient dog ever. My vet says that's her way of thanking me for rescuing her.

She is scared of men.