Respected Contributor

I Am Being Invaded by Raccoons and Very Afraid

I was trying to feed kitties and then 3 nights ago a raccoon came and ate the food. The next night he came back with 3 buddies and destroyed my porch with broken dishes, flowers and flower pots. It was a disaster. This morning they were in my front yard at 7am.

Tonight 6 of them came back and are swarming all over the porch and there is nothing out there. I have made noise and they are trying to get in my house. Throwing themselves at the door, putting their fingers under it and looking through the windows. They are under my truck too. I called 911 because I am petrified and they couldn't help. I thought I heard a shingle coming off the house. I don't have any weapons.

I don't know what to do and my dog doesn't understand why she can't go outside and she needs to go. There is no way I am opening any door, there are too many of them.

Any ideas other than calling animal control in the morning? I tried to call some wildlife companies but they don't answer.

I quite feeding the cats days ago so there is no food out there. More and more are coming every night. It's been an hour and they are still out there.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Am Being Invaded by Raccoons and Very Afraid

Have you washed/hosed off your porch area where the food was?

Another treatment is ammonia. They hate it. Wash the area with some diluted ammonia and water.

If the food fell below the porch or deck boards, they still smell it. Same with trash, etc. Make it as absolutely clean as possible.

Respected Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Have you washed/hosed off your porch area where the food was?

Another treatment is ammonia. They hate it. Wash the area with some diluted ammonia and water.

If the food fell below the porch or deck boards, they still smell it. Same with trash, etc. Make it as absolutely clean as possible.

Yes, swept and hosed off the porch and threw everything away two days ago. Someone mentioned ammonia but I have never bought any, darn it. They are still out there...More come every night.

I'm even afraid to go out in the day since they are still here in the morning. This is the weirdest thing ever. They are hiding under my truck, I hope they don't mess with it, there's no food in the garage, truck or outside. My dog doesn't understand why she can't go outside. They are bigger than she is.

Honored Contributor

Call Animal Control and let us know what they say .......

Respected Contributor

On 7/24/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Call Animal Control and let us know what they say .......

I will in the morning (hopefully they don't break in before then) that's how scared I am. They will probably just pick up dead ones and I will have to pay a wildlife co to come trap them. I don't understand why they keep coming back and bringing more bandits.

Is there anything else that might have ammonia in it? I am trying not to move too much because Teddy wants to go out. I feel like I am in a movie where they are waiting for me around the corner. First time I ever had raccoons. I live in a big residential area. A lot of new neighbors who I don't know so I don't have anyone to call to bring me some ammonia.

I just remembered windex but I don't want to open the door.

Trusted Contributor

We had that same issue here in Fl. We had to stop leaving food and water out for out 2 ferals and now we sit with then while they say then bring the food back in. We had racoond and possums and a big mess. once the food was no longer out they stopped coming by. We had to bungie our garbage pails,we had many of them. I wish you luck. we called animal control and were told we would have to pay to have them trapped..Since we no longer leave out food they went away. Our ferals have learned to trust us as its been 5 years of feeding them so they eat while we sit with them.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Respected Contributor

On 7/24/2014 beauty junkie said:

We had that same issue here in Fl. We had to stop leaving food and water out for out 2 ferals and now we sit with then while they say then bring the food back in. We had racoond and possums and a big mess. once the food was no longer out they stopped coming by. We had to bungie our garbage pails,we had many of them. I wish you luck. we called animal control and were told we would have to pay to have them trapped..Since we no longer leave out food they went away. Our ferals have learned to trust us as its been 5 years of feeding them so they eat while we sit with them.

That's what I wanted and for 4 days I had kitties galore come but never at the same time. I was hoping to get to that point like I did with Indy. He would let me know he was there. I had so many mama's and babies coming and then one raccoon started showing up earlier and earlier and ate all the food. Then 4 came and now 6 tonight. It's been 3 nights and there was not that much food out there to begin with. It makes me sick I can't feed the cats anymore. Do you know what they charged to trap the raccoons?

Trusted Contributor

No sorry my husband didn't ask but call and see what they say. Its awful cause they make a big mess and we had some really big ones who hurt our male feral. I am so glad we haven't seen them anymore.The raccoons here had gotten so brazen they would come to our door an look in and in the daytime too.It was getting to the point my hubby was going to get a BB gun but luckily when we stopped with the food they gave up.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Respected Contributor

I called animal control and they won't do anything. I have tried to find a pest control company but so far nothing.

I can't believe they made another mess last night and knocked over all my pots again and my glass table. There's dirt everywhere. Kitty let me know they were still out there this morning after daylight. A neighbor told me he found a possum that had crawled through the dryer vent and went into his basement. Luckily I don't have a basement but I worry about the attic.

I hope I can find someone to help me this is ridiculous to be homebound and scared in your own home.

Valued Contributor

I am so sorry you are going through this. I live in a mobile home park but it is in a very rural area with fields around it so there is a lot of wildlife around. I was putting dry food out for Ms. Kitty but when the skunks started coming I stopped leaving it out. Plus we got letters in our mailboxes stating that those caught feeding the strays would be fined 25.00 per incident. I don't want to get caught but if I do, I do. My heart will not allow me to not feed her. I have been feeding her for almost a year now. I only feed her when I can sit out on the porch with her. She comes up and loves all over me and lets me pet her and I feed her on the steps. Have not seen any skunks since I quit leaving food out. Raccoons should not be out during the day. Don't mean to scare you further but I have always heard that they only come out in the day (they are nocturnal) if they are sick. Don't know if that is true or not. I wish I could give you some advice about the kitties, it would break my heart if I could not feed Miss Kitty and there is also a black one now that comes around, not every day but quite a bit, that I also feed. When we get home from work about 5:30 in the evening, they are usually sitting on the steps waiting for dinner. Maybe once they realize there will be not food, they will leave just as the skunks have at my house.