Super Contributor

Scaredy Cat Hiding in the Box Springs

I need some advice and recommendations. I have a cat that I adopted a couple years ago. She previously lived for a year outside and seems really scared of certain noises such as lawn mowers, thunder, and fire works. When she hears these noises, she panics and runs. Intersestingly, she is fine with the vacuum.

We have been having several severe storms this summer (another one tonight), and she has somehow figured out to get INSIDE my box spring. Yep, she tore a hole in the fabric and crawls into the springs. Ugh. I have no idea how she even thought to do this. It is so unsafe.

I guess I am going to take my mattress and box springs off the bed frame! but what should I provide her as a safe place to crawl into when she is scared that would mimic this kind of place that would be safer? I have a feeling that no matter what I try giving her she will find something else just as inappropriate. LOL. I googled this and it seems quite a few cats have done this. Oh, these curious creatures!

Respected Contributor

Re: Scaredy Cat Hiding in the Box Springs

I would get some sheets of plywood and lay them under my box spring to keep her out of the bedding . Or even some sheets of T#11 it is thinner and that would solve the problem.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have an answer for you, but if it helps any at all, I can at least sympathize. One of my cats is the same way. She runs and gets under the bed, but so far she hasn't thought to try to get in the box springs. She hides not only when it thunders, but when it rains hard, or if the doorbell rings, a car pulls in the driveway, if my son comes in to visit (he calls her "the invisible cat", because all he ever sees of her is her tail as she runs through my bedroom door to hide), even if she hears the UPS truck. I feel so sorry for her..I'm thinking of trying a thunder shirt for cats. And she's going in for her checkup next week, so I'm going to talk to the vet about her "anxiety". And she freaks out if I turn on the vacuum, so I go ahead and put her in the bedroom!

Valued Contributor

You could try finding a cardboard box that she would fit into, turn it upside down, cut a little doorway in it and she would have a cozy, dark place to go. Of course, where to place it is the big question.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Cats are so good at finding their own hiding places. My cats liked the box springs as well, but stopped using it as a hiding place when I ripped the material off of the bottom. Under the bed is still the favorite hiding place, but they aren't up in the box spring.

Respected Contributor

Almost all pets become frightened when they hear loud noises or company visits.

Poor little thing but figure out a way to make sure she can no longer get into the box spring because it is dangerous, she can get hurt, and if she is really frightened she may lose her urine or bowels. (I would still check the box spring out to ensure it is still clean, and not soiled).

Easy solution would be depending on your bed size to would get plywood pro cut from the lumber yard or big box store, and place it directly underneath the box spring so the box spring is no longer accessible to the cat or any other pet you have or may acquire.

If you have a queen or king, or Cal king they can make 2 pieces if you prefer.

Good luck!

Super Contributor

Many thanks to all of you who replied. My cat is such a sweet girl. She does great with strangers and at the vet. Her panic is pretty isolated to thunder, lawn mowers, and fire works.

She likes to burrow under things when scared (e.g., blankets) so maybe a box with blankets would work. Every day I have to leave a throw blanket draped over the sofa in the event she gets scared so she can quickly dive under the tail of the blanket! As the saying goes, it is not my house, my cats just allow me to live here. Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

I leave a crack open in my closet for my cats, the biggest chickens of all.
Honored Contributor

When I got my cats, they were three months old. I had a sectional couch with recliners on each end. They tore the lining underneath one recliner and would hide in there. They eventually grew out if it.

Honored Contributor

Our cat goes into the closet when he gets scared ..... and huddles on an old sweater I leave there, just for him. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Smurfette, first of all God bless you for giving this sweet angel a loving home.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Cats really are ingenious at finding hiding places, aren't they? Something I learned from watching "My Cat From H3ll" on the Animal Planet: most cats are either what Jackson Galaxy calls "bush dwellers" or "tree dwellers." The comfort zone is in low places, or in high places, depending upon the cat.

So, it sounds like you have a "bush dweller" on your hands (or, in this case, in your box springsWink).

If you'll do an internet search for cats who are bush dwellers, you'll find numerous articles with suggestions for creating "safe spaces" for you cat. I hope this helps.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova