Respected Contributor

Our 5 month old goldendoodle was playing all day with another pup yesterday and I think he must have pulled or strained a muscle in his hind leg. He just seems very uncomfortable and walking with a limp. I can tell he is in pain. Is it ok to give him something for pain, if so what would the dose be, he weights about 45 lbs.

Honored Contributor

A buffered aspirin would be better.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Never give a dog tylenol or NSAID like ibuprofen, etc. -- They can be toxic even at low doses.

The best is a coated baby aspirin -- no more than 5 mg per 1 lb. of body weight. A typical baby aspirin is 81 mg. Even this should not be given to a young dog or one who is nursing. Always give a coated pill and with food to avoid stomach problems. All this being said, as few as 2 regular strength aspirins can kill a dog.

The best thing you can do is keep your dog calm and restrict its movement until you can get it to the vet to be sure what you're seeing is a pulled muscle...and not something else brought on by all the romping.

Another thought: call the emergency vet in your area and ask them the safe dosing for the weight and age of your dog -- or what to do until you can get your dog to the vet.

Respected Contributor

OK, thanks for your responses. My daughter ran into his trainer at Petco and said that he is not any better by tomorrow night, call the vet. I am going to go get some coated asprin since we don't have any in the house and I want him to be comfortable. Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

Ok, now I am confused bought low dose coated aspirin 81 mg, but also it also said NSAID on the bottle too. I could not find one that did not say that. Would this be safe for him. I don't want to make him feel any worse and get sick.

Trusted Contributor

Our lab did the same thing chasing a squirrel, I gave him 1 of the 81 mg coated aspirin with nsaid listed on the bottle and he was much better by the next morning, give him a treat prior so he doesn't get a upset stomach. They are so pitiful and it takes a bit for the limping to improve. hope your pup is feeling better soon Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

luvpoos, as a general rule, I will not jump in and offer any suggections for pets, ref: versus PEOPLE medications, OTC or by prescription for human consumption.

ON THIS ONE , I WILL.

There is no SAFE medication(s) mentioned [ HERE ] that is to be given to a dog or cat, unless otherwise advised by any qualified vet!

Also, as you mentioned, IBUPROFEN "IS" a NSAID, SO HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN A CHANCE IN GIVING TO 'YOUR' DOG.

Tylenol is in a completely different class, also not to be given.

WAIT OUT until you can take 5 month old Goldendoodle to your vet asap, if the dog shows pain within the next 8 hours.

IF YOUR PET IS STILL IN PAIN AT THIS TIME AND IT APPEARS UNBEARABLE, FIND A 24/7 FACILITY PET ER CLINIC. MOST AREAS HAVE ONE.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF WISHES IN HAVING YOUR DOGGIE RUNNING PAIN-FREE, ONCE AGAIN.

More than likely, it was just a sprain or A VERY STRAINED muscle and the 'limping' indicates mild to moderate inflammation. Your vet will give DOGGIE /pet medicine either by injection or orally.

{Also, there is alot of confusion on this board under several menus/threads, about medications}.

Baby aspirin 81mg, enteric coated aspirin, buffered aspirin, along with Tylenol is a NO for cat and dogs. I don't care what the coating is nor the strength. IT'S "ALL THE SAME"!!!

When in DOUBT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, D O N 'T.................... _Naes

Respected Contributor
On 7/20/2014 _Not an easy sale said:

luvpoos, as a general rule, I will not jump in and offer any suggections for pets, ref: versus PEOPLE medications, OTC or by prescription for human consumption.

ON THIS ONE , I WILL.

There is no SAFE medication(s) mentioned [ HERE ] that is to be given to a dog or cat, unless otherwise advised by any qualified vet!

Also, as you mentioned, IBUPROFEN "IS" a NSAID, SO HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN A CHANCE IN GIVING TO 'YOUR' DOG.

WAIT OUT until you can take 5 month old Goldendoodle to your vet asap, if the dog shows pain within the next 8 hours.

IF YOUR PET IS STILL IN PAIN AT THIS TIME AND IT APPEARS UNBEARABLE, FIND A 24/7 FACILITY PET ER CLINIC. MOST AREAS HAVE ONE.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF WISHES IN HAVING YOUR DOGGIE RUNNING PAIN-FREE, ONCE AGAIN.

More than likely, it was just a sprain or A VERY STRAINED muscle and the 'limping' indicates mild to moderate inflammation. Your vet will give DOGGIE /pet medicine either by injection or orally.

{Also, there is alot of confusion on this board under several menus/threads, about medications}.

Baby aspirin 81mg, enteric coated aspirin, buffered aspirin, along with Tylenol is a NO for cat and dogs. I don't care what the coating is nor the strength. IT'S "ALL THE SAME"!!!

Thank you very much for all this info, my husband just took off to the vet with him about an hour ago. He was much worse this morning, he had to be carried. I am so glad I didn't give him anything. Hope our baby will be ok.

Esteemed Contributor
On 7/20/2014 _Not an easy sale said:

ON THIS ONE , I WILL.

There are actually several OTC medications that are safe to give to dogs, Baby aspirin and benadryl are just two I keep around specifically for my dogs. Suggest everyone discusses this with their vet for correct dosage and include them in their pets first aid kits.

Hope your dogs feels better soon.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

You may also be able to call your vet off hours. My vet doesn't have an answering service but you leave a message and there is a vet on call that will call you back. They will then tell you what you can and cannot do.

My dog was having an issue years ago after hours and I was told to give her coated aspirin and since he knew her, could tell me exactly how much to give her.

He's also advised to give Pepto-Bismol when she got into something and had a tummy problem.